Windows 10 backup issue

Reaction score
I keep getting an error when running Windows 10 Backup. Using the recommended Windows backup. Get an error that says it skipped files and those skipped files are my dvd drive. There is no disc in it. Why in the world is it trying to backup my dvd drive and then telling me its an invalid drive? I check the setting and that drive is NOT checked/added to the backup.

Bif

Reaction score
You might have some temp files that are leftover from burning something to DVD or cd..this may be what it see's but can't back up as there isn't anything there..
Try the following and see if that solves it..and let us know
Look in the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder. Are there files located in here? If so, I believe your problem will go away if you delete them.

Bif

Reaction score
Hmm...I'm not sure then what might be causing it, 9 out of 10 times it's that temp folder that causes issues.
Gotta think on this one..

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this works or not as its running now but I have tried EXCLUDING that drive. The 1st time I tried it I don't think it worked. But the 2nd time it might have. Running it a 3rd time just to see.

Reaction score
Is the back new, or a differential/incremental back up?
If it's a differential bk up, I think the original bk up you created must have been directed (short cut) to a a file that was located on a CD that was in the caddy. It will require insertion of that CD. If you have excluded the CD the bk up should be fine.

Reaction score
Yes, I've used Disc Cleanup many times and I have NEVER tried to backup the CD/DVD drive. By the way, under Disc Cleanup, the CD/DVD is not an option. I am not sure but I think I found a work around. Under Backup Options I excluded the DVD drive and I think it worked without errors.

Ask a Question