Windows History Backup Disk

Reaction score
I just replaced my recently dead PC yesterday. When I used the external backup disk I was able to send files to the desktop. The problem now; when I try to open some of the files from the desktop, it keeps going to the backup drive. If I disconnect that drive they can't be found. Why does it keep going to the backup?

The Windows history backs up on a continuous basis so I would imagine it eventually writes over whatever is stored there.

Most of the problems seem to be with Excel & Word. I upgraded to Office 365 thinking I would be able to easily access them, I thought wrong.

Reaction score
Open Explorer and click on the external drive, select single or multiple files on the external drive and just drag them to the desktop or the original folders. You don't mention if you've attempted to restore your files to their original location using recent file history. File history doesn't overwrite files, it saves any any changes to files incrementally with a date and time stamps as to when changes where last made and to saved to File History.

Reaction score
Don't know if it applies but have seen similar and it was caused by shortcuts on the computer that pointed to files on a different drive.

Ask a Question