Email history lost after Windows 7 to 10 upgrade last night.

Reaction score
Windows Live Mail was being discontinued, so I wanted to perform the upgrade right away, and absorb my MSN/Outlook dot com, and Gmail accounts into the new W10 email client.

But now. my 13-year MS email history goes no further back than 6-1-16, and Gmail is not much better. Is there any hope to recover this history?

Thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Support for WLM may be ending in terms of updates. The actual application works fine in Windows 10.

You can recover previous emails from WLM. I've explained how to do this in previous threads on Windows Live Mail in this forum so just enter that into the search box to locate.

Reaction score
I was able to recover WLM from the W10 start menu, with full email histories! But, how do I get the W10 email client to retain and show these full histories? Even when accessing individual email accounts at Outlook dot com the full email history is not shown.

Reaction score
Windows Live Mail was being discontinued, so I wanted to perform the upgrade right away, and absorb my MSN/Outlook dot com, and Gmail accounts into the new W10 email client.

But now. my 13-year MS email history goes no further back than 6-1-16, and Gmail is not much better. Is there any hope to recover this history?

Thanks

Well what type of email do you have. If you have POP3 then the emails are downloaded to WLM. Now if you have POP3 and you have it set to delete mail on the server then they are deleted as soon as they are downloaded to your PC. If you don't have it set to delete on the server you probably have to manually delete since most providers have space limits to their users.

IMAP is where the email is on the email server and you view it on the server through your client. The emails are never downloaded to your machine. If you delete they are deleted on the server and not available to you.

Reaction score
Hi Jake

Right now, I have both email clients (W10, WLM) running. I've restored WLM per Regedit32, and all of my emails are still visible there, but none earlier than 6/1/16 in W10. The challenge is how to acquire full email histories for my email accounts in the W10 email client. BTW, all of my email accounts are web-based, not POP3, and no deletion instructions have been sent.

Reaction score
Well if the emails are web based they are on the mail server and not downloaded to you PC. Typically when you have an email account you get so much storage space on the server. So if you can't see emails from before 6/1 they have been removed from the server.

Reaction score
If the email history before 6-1-16 has been removed try contacting your mail server they will have a recent backup and should be able to restore your account before 6-1-16.

Reaction score
If you have Outlook installed, then export you windows live mail and just import to outlook as a new data file. Everything should be copied and my experience has been the Win 10 mail picks it all up by default.

Reaction score
If you have Outlook installed, then export you windows live mail and just import to outlook as a new data file. Everything should be copied and my experience has been the Win 10 mail picks it all up by default.
I've held off on accepting the Outlook 1 year free trial, so it's not installed. If there's no way to run Windows 10, with full email histories in the W10 email client, then I'd like to back out of W10 and run in W7.

Do you know if WLM and the W10 mail client can run simultaneously, sending and receiving messages? Are they on the same server?

BTW, a new problem has developed with the W10 mail client; it's not letting me modify or add email accounts. Earlier, I was able to modify one of the accounts, and access a drop down tab that was set at (I think) 1 month, and set it to "any" (or something similar), and it's showing full history in the INBOX, but nothing in the folders. I can't modify the other accounts at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've held off on accepting the Outlook 1 year free trial, so it's not installed. If there's no way to run Windows 10, with full email histories in the W10 email client, then I'd like to back out of W10 and run in W7.

Do you know if WLM and the W10 mail client can run simultaneously, sending and receiving messages? Are they on the same server?

BTW, a new problem has developed with the W10 mail client; it's not letting me modify or add email accounts. Earlier, I was able to modify one of the accounts, and access a drop down tab that was set at (I think) 1 month, and set it to "any" (or something similar), and it's showing full history in the INBOX, but nothing in the folders. I can't modify the other accounts at all.

Take a look at this link, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...a429db602/find-and-download-windows-live-mail

I'm running Outlook 2016, and MS365 concurrently. I have never set the windows app up, so it must run through the account. Idk if this answers your question,

Reaction score
If you are 100% unable to retrieve your e-mail messages prior to 6-1-2016, I recommend backing up all of your files routinely (including your WLM messages) to rewritable CDs (DVD-RW), so you don't lose all of your WLM messages again.

After you make those backup CDs, I suggest you put them in a safe place, so you won't lose them and also so you'll have them in a convenient space in case you ever need to use them again for WLM and/or any other purpose.

Also, my dad has had Hotmail since 2003, since he has been a Hotmail user since that year he is "grandfathered in" to Outlook.com.

He also has to pay a small fee every three months to have extra storage on his Hotmail/Outlook account.

Additionally, my dad does genealogy, and because of that he has kept all of his genealogy-based e-mails since he became a Hotmail user back in late 2003.

Furthermore, if you [originally] had dozens of e-mails on you WLM, and if you have a similar amount now.

I suggest that you create "folders" on your WLM and put your important e-mails in those [folders] in an organized fashion.

Also, have you checked your "Spam" or "Trash" folders through your WLM?

If you haven't, I suggest you checked those two folders and see if your e-mails are in either your "Spam" or "Trash" folders on your WLM.

if none of the options I have given you help you out, then I suggest you do the tasks that the commenters above have given you.

Most young people use G-mail nowadays, Yahoo! Mail used to be #1 and now G-mail is #1 and is the most popular e-mail website.

Lastly, Android smartphones are owned by Google, and allow Android users to check their e-mail, so in a way that makes sense.

Reaction score
I have an Hotmail/Outlook never heard of a storage fee or contacted about storage fees.

Ask a Question