SOLVED WindowsImageBackup folder has the incorrect date

Reaction score
Win 10 home.
Version 1703 with all available update applied.
I THOUGHT the following pretty much documented the WindowsImageBackup folder structure.
  • WindowsImageBackup
    • [Computer name]
      • Backup [date and time of backup] <== The date is correct, but the time is not.
        • A bunch of XML files
        • A bunch of .vhdx files
      • Catalog
        • BackupGlobalCatalog
        • GlobalCatalog
      • Logs
        • At least one .log file
      • SPPMetadataCache
        • At least one file with random letter/number combinations, separated by dashes, surrounded by {}’s
      • MediaId file
Given the above, the sub folder named "Backup ......." does contain the correct date of when the backup was created, but the last six digits, certainly don't reflect the correct time, or even the approximate time, of when the backup was created.

I have the pc's time zone set to Central U.S. and Canada.

I started the creation of the image at 3:10pm and completed it at 4:30pm.
But my sub folder name, when the backup has completed reads, "Backup 2017-08-21 195346".

I don't "get" what "195346" represents.

My Goal is to be able to identify when, exactly, a WindowsImageBackup folder was created.

Any insight, would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Well, my guess is your local time, 15:10 plus 5 hours for GMT.. It is not exactly your numbers but close, 19:53 vs. 20:10

Reaction score
It's a good guess, Saltgrass.
Something that never occurred to me.
I'll examine my other backups and factor in the GMT to see how close they come to the value in their folder names.
I thank you.

Reaction score
Central Time US and Canada is UTC - 6 hrs. Do you have the correct time zone for your location?
19:53:46 the 24 hr clock, or 6:53:46 PM you are off by + 2:23min. Check your time clock settings, you can change the format from 24 hr to 12 hr clock in change date and time format.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Norton.
I just checked my settings, and I think they look okay.
The dates and times associated with all of the sub folders and files associated with the image backup, look correct to me.

It just the name of that one folder, "Backup [date and time of backup]", that I'm having an issue reconciling.

The backup procedures works fine and I can restore the pc image from the backup image without issue.
It's just that one folder naming convention I'm struggling with.

Thanks again.

upload_2017-8-21_20-39-31.png

Reaction score
DST.. 5 hours

Saltgrass I agree DST.. 5 hours for Eastern (US & Canada) but the OP has their time zone set for Central Time (US & Canada) which is UTC-6

justray: Would the backup image happen to an Incremental Windows Image back up?
If so, I believe the reference to 19:53:46 is the time the first full image was created. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Evening.

Some things:
Thing one:
I looked at all of my older images (I have 8 in addition to my latest) and the "time stamps", seem to be within a few seconds of the GMT.
So it looks as if my findings bare out Saltgrass's guess.

Thing two:
None of my image are incremental.

Thing three:
I reside in Wisconsin.

So, unless there are objections, I thank the both of you for your efforts on my behalf.
And, I'm going to mark this issue resolved.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question