Windows Backup

Reaction score
@Nikillet

The MR docs (Macrium Reflect v7 User Guide) in the File and folder backups section says that the backup "can be restored directly or browsed using Windows Explorer."
Thank you. This is good to know.

Reaction score
P.S. I've read that the new Win 10 update has been deleting people's files. Looks to me like it would be a good time for Microsoft to STOP releasing this update until they get it fixed. Sound like a reasonable, good idea? I mean, rather than people losing valuable pictures and documents that they thought were safe

@Nikilet
Good Call - As everyone probably knows by now:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/ms-pulled-paused-october-2018-update.17842/#post-91028

Reaction score
I use Start / Control Panel / Backup and Restore W7 (To Backup W10) / Create System Repair Disk (on My Passport Ultra) .
Pick the correct option.
The first option given.
I am very confused. When going through the Control Panel/Backup and Restore (Wndows 7) ... Why does it say Windows 7?

I clicked on the "Backup Now" button there and it did place a file on my external, but there's nothing there that I can actually open and examine as far as files.

But when I click on Settings/Update and Security/Backup, it shows that my data is not yet backed up. I think I am going to remove that folder created when I used the Control Panel settings and redo it through the Settings.

Attachments

• Backup thru Control Panel.PNG
    Backup thru Control Panel.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 354
  • Backup thru Settings.PNG
    Backup thru Settings.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 383
Reaction score
I already use Macrium free. And I have many things backed up on my external and also to my Amazon Drive and OneDrive. I had read that the Windows backup was not real reliable, but also read something about being able to go into in and replace a folder that had become corrupt so I thought it might be wise to keep it running too. I don't think you can do that with Macrium, can you?

But bottom line is, I supposedly have this Windows backup going to my external. I can't find anything in the external that looks like it might be this Windows backup folder and I'm wondering what it is called. I do have one folder I can't identify (screenshot) and was wondering if that might possibly be the Windows backup.

Actually yes you can open a Macrium Image and restore a single file or folder http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/restore/restore_files_and_folders.htm

Reaction score
There have been so many responses and they all helped me in one way or another. I have my problem figured out now with the Windows Backup and I want to thank all of your for your time and valuable input in helping me sort this out.

Reaction score
If you use WinDirStat (freeware) it will show you all the files/folders on the drive. The backup files usually show as yellow. If I remember correctly, windows uses abnormal fie structure to house the backups. That means you can't get a directory of it or alter it. Which includes deleting. The only way to change it is to use the Windows tools for backup.

Ask a Question