MS Pulled/Paused October 2018 Update

Reaction score
Hello all ~

Don't know how many of you have seen this yet BUT ...

"We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating."

upload_2018-10-6_7-59-36.png

Source : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

Reaction score
Only one of my PC's updated without problems. The others I had to restore a previously made image as the update never finished or stopped with error code

Reaction score
For about as long as I can remember, there have been folks saying they had lost many of their personal files. I do not remember just the Downloads folder being involved but perhaps the user had enabled the option to automatically delete files in the download folder, so with the update, it was done by mistake.

As far as I can tell, none of my files were deleted. I just updated my gaming system yesterday manually and all went well. So only one of my systems has not updated and that is the one which started the download but could not complete and gave an error code showing such. Maybe they blocked it during that specific time.

Reaction score
Maybe we are in the lucky group, Saltgrass. I have had no apparent misfortunes -- yet!

Reaction score
I have upgraded my notebook, using upgrade assistant no issues at all Classic/Open Shell 4.4.131 works flawlessly same for 8 Gadget Pack 26 same no issue with any other program or loss of files that I have noticed yet.
I have upgraded my play around with desktop again from UA and no issues at all.
I have upgraded my business desktop. I had several failures using UA so attempted the WU that also failed to complete, then downloaded the ISO from MCT and again failed a couple of times.
I solved this issue buy running SFC /scannow 3 times then running
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow 3 r 4 times on the final time I also ran chkdsk C: /f
after a couple of days after all this 1809 installed in about 20 minutes
I have issues with 1803 on this unit also. Perhaps since I didn't run chkdsk until the last round of DISM tools perhaps next time I'll run it sooner?BTW all my machines are running Pro and Classic/Open Shell 4.4.131
The only Issue I have noticed and many usere are reporting this is in event viewer we are getting strings of Event Id 1534 General details
Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details. These are filling up my log file there are so many of them. I expect MS will have a fix for that on Tuesday I hope anyway.

Reaction score
Maybe we are in the lucky group, Saltgrass. I have had no apparent misfortunes -- yet!
I will have to hold off on agreeing until I check out a situation which just happened. When I woke my laptop up, I got the spinning circles and could see the desktop dimly in the background. Once on the desktop, the screen is flickering terribly.

I am trying a shutdown to see if it continues after the restart...

Reaction score
That sounds like a so-called Graphics driver incompatible.
One of my friends, whose computer has the same problem found in the Device manager hat it was marked, by MS, as being incompatible, and had been disabled. The various fixes (uninstall - reboot;; find the latest driver on the web etc etc) did not work.
The nasty side is that it was working for two days, so what suddenly rendered it incompatible. I have tried to find a way for windows 10 to recognise it as compatible, but so far have failed.
My personal view is that this is going to be the biggest blow to Microsoft they have yet encountered.
But, of course, they can always fall back that, unlike previous OSs, this one was teasted throughout by millions of users all over the world - nothing to do with Microsoft, they just chased up reports--Big LOL.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you think about it for a minute.....
It is almost inconceivable, considering the number of people inside Microsoft alone who use these builds throughout their respective development.
I've even heard Dona Sarkar (current face of the whole Insider Program) claim that she uses the Canary Builds day to day on her personal machine(s).
AND
Then you think about all the people across the globe involved in the Insider Program and no one had any such experience before final product RTM.

NOW, I think about all the posts we've had from people claiming that various files have gone missing after an update.
I'm starting to think that I should have been buying Lotto tickets all this time, because I've got to be one of the luckiest people on the planet.

Reaction score
I was lucky. All three that I did went well. I have two left to do, but I think one is going to get Linux instead. I have fewer headaches with Linux.

Reaction score
Classic/Open Shell 4.4.131 works flawlessly same for 8 Gadget Pack 26 same no issue with any other program or loss of files that I have noticed yet.

On my test system the October update complained that the 8gadget pack 26 is incompatible with this version of Windows and has been de-installed. However, it created also a shortcut on the desktop to re-install the gadgets again which, in my case, worked w/o a problem.

BTW: there is a new Version out (V27.0): https://8gadgetpack.net/

Last edited:
Reaction score
My laptop was already on 1809 as it was an Insider machine. Backed up and use WU for my main machine and everything works.

Note that I had Storage Sense turned OFF on the laptop and turned it off as soon as 1809 was loaded on the other machine. I wonder if that has a bug?

No-one has suggested what files are missing. Apart from the OS, 90% of the files on my machine are either unimportant Word or Excel docs or music mpegs. The only files I'd miss immediately would be a couple of Excel sheets and files to do with Thunderbird mail.

Reaction score
That sounds like a so-called Graphics driver incompatible.
One of my friends, whose computer has the same problem found in the Device manager hat it was marked, by MS, as being incompatible, and had been disabled. The various fixes (uninstall - reboot;; find the latest driver on the web etc etc) did not work.
The nasty side is that it was working for two days, so what suddenly rendered it incompatible.[/QUOTE]
My system has a Dual Display adapter configuration. I have tried to update the Intel graphics driver with no effect. The Nvidia GPU was both disabled and driver updated with no change.

I was thinking, as mine worked fine for two days also, it may have been the Windows Mixed Reality which installed when I used my Mixed Reality headset.

It is strange I can see desktop icons in places where they should not be. I tried changing my desktop DPI to 250%, which is recommended for a 4K display and the second set of icons on the taskbar were visible. It seems like an entire separate display is frozen somewhere in memory which may be involved with the flashing of the desktop.

Reaction score
I had this happen to me at work on two machines yesterday, both upgrading to 1809 but on a domain.

What I noticed though is the documents weren't deleted to say, but Windows created new local accounts on the machines.

So when logged in on a user account it created a new user account called USER.NAMEDOMAIN, but all the user files were still in the users folder but called USER.NAME, but you could not log into this.

I just renamed the user profiles and relogged in and the files were all there again as if nothing happened.

I reckon this is what is happening with other people, and that no one is actually losing any files but Windows after an upgrade is creating a new local user account.

Reaction score
Another issue I have noticed is this: when I run Disk cleanup my CPU load peaks at 99%, however in the taskmanager under "processes" there is not one process that loads over 1.5%. Even if I add all the processes up, I would not get near the 99% CPU load, unless there is a process that is not displayed.

2018-10-06_184010.jpg

I think Microsoft has much to improve on the new one....

Reaction score
I also have no new user account on any of my 3 units. I think this was limited to a certain group or type of hardware? as @bsmaff stated his were on a domain.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In Microsoft's statement they described it as
isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.
Translating.....
Jeeez, we don't know what's happening or why.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love the statement "Isolated" !

There are several sites now listing the complaints, so far, pouring in. On English newspaper has posted about six known faults, and fixes (none working) for them.

Reaction score
Another issue I have noticed is this: when I run Disk cleanup my CPU load peaks at 99%, however in the taskmanager under "processes" there is not one process that loads over 1.5%. Even if I add all the processes up, I would not get near the 99% CPU load, unless there is a process that is not displayed.

View attachment 9177

I think Microsoft has much to improve on the new one....

IIRC there was a note in the Insider blog about the time when 17763 was released to the fast ring that said there was a bug with task manager's reporting of CPU usage. So that may be explainable.