MS Pulled/Paused October 2018 Update

Reaction score
1809 A Bug! I'll say so. Windows Defender Flagged the downloaded (Local Admin Desktop) ISO as a PUA "severe"
I deleted let Windows Defender deal (removed) the ISO. Unfortunately I burned it (Rufus) to a thumb drive and installed. I did have some issues, PC hung on Restart, Blue screen spinning circle, Shut down PC and restart was painfully slows. Defender flagged the ISO on restart. After the ISO was deleted restart problems disappeared.
Normally, I scan downloads with MAMBM, this time I broke my routine. That is, I trusted downloads from WU catalog. Just a heads up!

Bif

Reaction score
@Norton, the oddities continue as I had downloaded the ISO the other day directly to an external HD and nothing was flagged at all.
Perhaps if I had downloaded it to desktop first something would have shown up??o_O
I believe a Scotch is in order...or two.

Reaction score
I was gob struck when I saw the Defender alert. It could very well have been a false positive, but when I googled
Windows\System32\ shoppers, it had BAD reviews and said it was indeed malicious. Bottom line no permanent damage was done. Could very well be this was another reason for MS pulling the download?
If you can't trust Defender, what other AV program can you trust?

Reaction score
IIRC there was a note in the Insider blog about the time when 17763 was released to the fast ring that said there was a bug with task manager's reporting of CPU usage. So that may be explainable.

I just ran disk clean up and system clean up no issues then Trim. Then I ran DISM tools to see how my system is doing SFC Scannow for an issue that it resolved on the first go around, then ran it twice more finding no issues. I only have Local Account and don't use One Drive. I have lost no data on three computer, 2 were upgraded using Upgrade Assistant, One I had to do an in-place upgrade/Repair with an ISO downloaded from MCT. I'm so far not experiencing any issues except the Event ID 1534

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when I googled
Windows\System32\ shoppers
Where is that located. I just scanned the folder on my computer containing the ISO with both Defender and MBAM and both found nothing.
I mounted the ISO and searched for that path and could not find it anywhere.

Reaction score
I was unable to locate the folder also. The Windows\System32\hiderun.exe was concerning to me. I didn't even bother searching for it. I let Defender do what I thought was the right thing to do under the circumstances, false positive or not. I also scanned the ESD thumb drive with Defender and Malwarebytes Premium, nothing found.:)

This was a MS article on Windows\System32\shoppers. It's worthy of a read.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wds...lopedia-description?Name=PUA:Win32/ShopperPro

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally, when an antivirus or antimalware product takes an action on particular file it will often create a file and or log / report.
That might contain some information as to where the file was located when it was found.

Reaction score
Only one of my PC's updated without problems. The others I had to restore a previously made image as the update never finished or stopped with error code

If you are having problems downloading the new Windows 10 update 1809 that is called 'Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)' release date: 2 October 2018, OS built: 17763.1. I recommend that you use this link: 'https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4089834/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-updating' this will instruct you and give you all the solutions of 'Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10'. Hope this helps.

Btw, I never had any issues of what is noted from MS on 'Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809' regarding, missing files after an update etc. All is working perfectly and I have not lost any files but, I do have all my files and folders on a slave drive, maybe, that is why they haven't been affected? And I also used 'Disc Cleanup' > 'Cleanup system files' (which I do after every update) and deleted and cleaned all the previous 1803 files and updates to clear up disc space, without any of the problems above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have a "shoppers" folder that @Norton mentioned but I do have a "Windows.old" folder which isn't showing in CCleaner?.

upload_2018-10-8_7-23-48.png

:(:(:(

Maybe I should do a fresh install of CCleaner to see if it picks it up?. :eek:

Reaction score
Hello all ~

Don't know how many of you have seen this yet BUT ...

View attachment 9172

Source : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history
I don't have a "shoppers" folder that @Norton mentioned but I do have a "Windows.old" folder which isn't showing in CCleaner?.

View attachment 9186

:(:(:(

Maybe I should do a fresh install of CCleaner to see if it picks it up?. :eek:

My recommendation to all is to not use any of these CCleaner, Malware Bite, Avast Cleanup etc (waste of money) as the windows internal tools are just as efficient as those that you pay for! I've been there and done all that and they don't make a difference. All I've got on my system now is Avast Free Antivirus (which I'm in the process of deleting) as Defender is just as good and alerts me exactly of the same viruses (as I use them in sinc) and I also use 'Disc Cleanup' and 'Cleanup system files' which cleans all the junk. I've been using these free tools for nearly 2 years with no problems and/or any viruses and junk and my computer functions faultlessly! The more of these 3rd party programs you have the more problems you invite!

Reaction score
I'll agree about CCleaner being a waste. But I think you're a bit misguided believing Windows defender is even half the anti virus/anti malware that avast or malwarebytes are. Defender has some of the worst detection rates out there. That's not opinion. That's fact.

Reaction score
quote "Btw, I never had any issues of what is noted from MS on 'Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809' regarding, missing files after an update etc." .[/QUOTE]

This doesn't seem to agree with your post here?:
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...uild-upgrade-1809-yet.17823/page-4#post-91078
"However, the biggest problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/"

Reaction score
I'll agree about CCleaner being a waste. But I think you're a bit misguided believing Windows defender is even half the anti virus/anti malware that avast or malwarebytes are. Defender has some of the worst detection rates out there. That's not opinion. That's fact.

That's what they want you to believe, I've got avast running and I had malwarebytes which just chocked my pc up, I never had any problems since I've gotten rid of malwarebytes. Its not a fact, its just marketing jargon, as I've never had any problems with malware on my pc. If you are cautious of sites and extensions you shouldn't get any viruses and/or malware, don't visit suspect sites where you can and will get viruses and malware and you should be safe. A standard antivirus and defender is all that you need!

Reaction score
quote "Btw, I never had any issues of what is noted from MS on 'Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809' regarding, missing files after an update etc." .

This doesn't seem to agree with your post here?:
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...uild-upgrade-1809-yet.17823/page-4#post-91078
"However, the biggest problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/"[/QUOTE]

And your point is? If you read my post carefully, my post consists of quotes that people are complaining about and "However, the biggest problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/" is one of them.

I haven't had any problems with my update of 1809, its working perfectly and none of the quoted problems (in my above post, that you quoted) are apparent on my update to 1809 on my computer!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am having zero issues , in fact this was the very first feature update that installed the first try and only took 35 minutes, But it seems othere were not as lucky.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Have to agree with Steve. Defender uses pretty much the same Dbase info as any other cleaner. If you go to the length of actually purchasing an antivirus program, it doesn't in anyway improve the real detection rate, but merely offers you some extras.
On the subject of Ccleaner. I do use it. Many casual users overlook the large list of cleaning options, so could miss out on a few items which they can well do without.
But, I confess, whenever I am about to make an image, I work through the computer manually There are many items in various temp and cookie folders which are not cleaned by Disk clean up. Not a lot of work involved, when you become familiar with certain offending folders. A lot of personal satisfaction also.
There are several sites which claim efficient testing of antivirus products. This is a well known one, as an example. .

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

Reaction score
"And your point is? If you read my post carefully, my post consists of quotes that people are complaining about and "However, the biggest problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/" is one of them."

My apologies. I didnt, unfortunately, read it as a quote.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am having zero issues , in fact this was the very first feature update that installed the first try and only took 35 minutes, But it seems othere were not as lucky.
upload_2018-10-8_11-2-30.png
Hey Gideon, glad to hear from you again, it has been a while.
I was under the impression that they had dropped that particular "ring" from our list of public choices.
Evidently you can still choose it, but.... only IF
Release Preview Ring
If you want to be on the current public release of Windows 10 but still get early access to updates, applications, and drivers without taking the risk of moving to the Development Branch, the Release Preview Ring is your best option. The Release Preview Ring is only visible when your Windows build version is the same as the current Production Branch. The easiest way to go between the Development Branch to the current Production Branch is to reinstall Windows using the Media Creation Tool, see instructions at Download Windows 10, or, for Mobile, the Windows Device Recovery Tool, see instructions at Windows Phone Device Recovery.
SOURCE: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/how-to-overview/

I did notice that there was very little if any talk about this build and the "Release Preview Ring". I actually didn't think much of it at the time.

Reaction score
Hi,

I made a clean install four days ago, and I haven’t had any issues so far. :)
No files has been lost either.
And it’s working way much better than the 1803 !

Bye;)

Reaction score
"And your point is? If you read my post carefully, my post consists of quotes that people are complaining about and "However, the biggest problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/" is one of them."

My apologies. I didnt, unfortunately, read it as a quote.

Its all good "davehc" not a problem! This update is all good (as I've mentioned) and has added all the new features that are listed in this article "Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October Update (version 1809)" at https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-update-version-1809/

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 375