SOLVED Anyone seen the new build upgrade (1809) yet?

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with a Restart command It took forever yesterday and shut down my PC video signal. Today when I performed a Restart, it just sat there forever, Blue screen and six MS employees chasing their tails in a circular fashion. I had to turn PC OFF. When it started I ran sfc/scannow, no corrupt files found.
icon_scratch.png

Reaction score
I have read your previous comments on the Task manager, Trouble. I waited until I had the October update, which I now have. What are the Task manager problems you are experiencing. I don't, apparently, have any??

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It was present in the last preview release and has been present in the new rounds of releases until this most recent version 18252.
Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18252 (19H1) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring AND those who have opted in to Skip Ahead.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
  • We fixed the issue causing Task Manager to report inaccurate CPU usage.
  • We fixed the issue where the arrows to expand “Background processes” in Task Manager blink constantly and weirdly.

So it was present in the RTM release and still is there

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they are going to push back the build like they did with the last one. I don't want to waste my time installing a build if they are going to release another in a month.
Apparently, I was overly optimistic when I replied to this post.
I'm thinking you should be good to go.
I don't believe there is anything sufficiently wrong with this build so as to cause another goat roping like last time.
Looks like we may have another Rodeo featuring a Microsoft Goat Roping.

Reaction score
I'm lost there. How do you tell what the normal CPU useage is, compared with what you can see? I have no idea!

Not sure about the arrow thing. Mine looks normal, but, again, not certain what they mean.
This is my CPU useage with two browsers open and Word, but , as I snipped, no paeticualr activity.

Capture.GIF

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm lost there. How do you tell what the normal CPU useage is, compared with what you can see? I have no idea!

Not sure about the arrow thing. Mine looks normal, but, again, not certain what they mean.
This is my CPU useage with two browsers open and Word, but , as I snipped, no paeticualr activity.

View attachment 9174
Use the processes tab and sort on CPU and watch what it is reporting and manually do the math in your head. IF you watch it over time you will see minor disparity in the totals at the top compared with what is being reported by the individual processes. Sometimes quite a bit sometimes only slightly.
THEN
Sort on the name column and watch the right pointing arrows > flashing and disappearing and returning.

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I'll wait a bit longer.
Good plan, although I think Microsoft has pretty much pulled all resources for acquiring the upgrade.

I thought it would be nice if they told us which files were being deleted, although they seem pretty mum on that topic.
A search of the web is a take your pick result. Documents, downloads, pictures, music....

I thought I pretty much escaped any risk as I created an ISO and performed a clean install and now I read this morning that Microsoft is advising against clean installs as well, so....
Me thinks there is more to the story.

Reaction score
"Me thinks there is more to the story" We think alike, I reckon some legal infringement. I do read that Intel are a bit worked up about some of their alleged incompatibility issues.

Reaction score
My systems updating normally seem to be OK. The one I did yesterday, using the Download tool, does not show even itself in the update history. This is the same thing that happened with the situation in April.

Reaction score
My systems updating normally seem to be OK. The one I did yesterday, using the Download tool, does not show even itself in the update history. This is the same thing that happened with the situation in April.

Mine does show the update history of 1809, I've had no problems with the 1809 update and its not deleted anything from my system and/or showing a false reading on 'Task Manager' like the e.g. from article on https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-update-version-1809/ there have been several issues reported with this latest Windows 10 update, such as incompatibilities with Intel Display Audio device drivers, and the Task Manager app not showing correct CPU usage. However, the biggest problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/ folder.

Attachments

• Update History 1809.JPG
    Update History 1809.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
Of the four systems I have updated so far, the only one which shows the situation below is the one I updated manually using the Media Creation tool .iso download.

History.JPG

Reaction score
The other issue I've seen and not heard mentioned is autoplay doesn't work when I plug a usb flash drive in anymore. The settings say it's on, but no matter if I plug a flash drive ore my external hdd in, I have to manually open it in explorer. Not the biggest issue I've ever seen, but extremely inconvenient.

Reaction score
The other issue I've seen and not heard mentioned is autoplay doesn't work when I plug a usb flash drive in anymore. The settings say it's on, but no matter if I plug a flash drive ore my external hdd in, I have to manually open it in explorer. Not the biggest issue I've ever seen, but extremely inconvenient.

Yes that is relevant to me also with the 1809, its not a big deal as the 'autoplay' didnt always work 100% in the previous version of 1803.

Reaction score
Haven't received it yet here via WU.. no rush.
Curious to know, does this update/build wipe all of the preexisting system restore points as with many of the others?
Of course I'm only referring to updates not clean installs.

The 1809 update installs a restore point after its finished, it did that for me on the 4 Oct 2018 (when I installed it) + I did a restore point today, as I have deleted the old with > Disc Cleanup > Cleanup system files which I deleted all previous updates and resurrected 28GB of my HDD. The 1809 update does wipe all the restore points off 1803 but puts the usual 'Windows Old' folder in your (C:) drive.

Attachments

• restore point in 1809.JPG
    restore point in 1809.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
Anyone read anything at all from Microsoft as to whether the bug has been fixed and is now OK for download and install?
As far as I am aware, the last comment from them was that we should not!

Ask a Question