SOLVED Anyone seen the new build upgrade (1809) yet?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only thing that I've actually seen is

Capture1.PNG

Although I would probably take that with a grain of salt. I've actually seen some complaints of files going missing `after` an apparent successful upgrade.
There is enough weirdness going on with this release, that I would not consider it until there was a lot more information available, including a fair amount of lapse time to let other guinea pigs sort it out.
AND only then with a complete and full recent image for a fall back.

Reaction score
That is what is bothering me, Trouble. I have successfully updated a few computers for family and friends. But I am apprehensive as to how "succesful" this has really been. Like waiting for the other shoe to drop!
I have gone to the extent of going back to a pre update image on my daily laptop, and am waiting for news from MS before proceeding further, so that I can have, at worst, something to compare.

Reaction score
I am apprehensive as to how "succesful" this has really been
From what I am seeing, it appears the problem is in the Update process and necessarily the OS itself. I also have to wonder if folks you had turned on the option to automatically clean their system had set the install up to do that.

Trouble, it would be nice to know exactly what tools Dona states that the support line has to correct the missing files situation. Possibly they know where the files are being sent? As far as I know, no files went missing on any of my systems.

Dell reverted to a Bios update two versions back on one of my systems. Perhaps that was related to an Intel microcode update which Microsoft and not made adjustments for in the new build. Of course, Dell does not say why the reversal happened.

Bif

Reaction score
I've actually seen some complaints of files going missing `after` an apparent successful upgrade.
This is almost turning into a Get Smart episode...
"This Operation System will self destruct in 10 seconds"
..would you believe 5 ?

Reply from MS..
"missed it... by that much!"

Reaction score
My laptop got it...I have just started the download on this PC.

On this main PC I had relocated Downloads a year ago and that worked ok and it seems to be good now.

Reaction score
Anyone read anything at all from Microsoft as to whether the bug has been fixed and is now OK for download and install?
As far as I am aware, the last comment from them was that we should not!

'davehc' read this article by John Cable that (Saltgrass also provided above) from 'Microsoft Community' to why the loss of files has happened in the October Update 1809. Its happened mainly because of and if the 'Known Folder Redirection' (KFR) had been previously enabled, which is a OneDrive feature backup of (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, and Camera Roll) see the link below, where it explains it fully! Btw, this 'loss of files' has only affected 7% of the downloads and its not as common as people think, mine was perfect and has added some very useful features and my system works perfectly!

Anyway, this is the link: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ased-to-windows-insiders/#WBz2COz4pki59qMG.97

Reaction score
There is another thread on the forum, with the new cumulative update correcting the problem. Items are mentioned in the Microsoft list of points that are taken care of.
But, fwiw, I have never had any serious problems with updates, since Windows 10 came on the scene, although I have, on some occasions, needed to retune some of my personal customisations, as they had been returned to defaults.

There have been complaints of lost personal files. It did occur to me that they could be in the "Win.old" folder

Reaction score
I did an update on 3 PC's at home and all are good to go with no files missing whatsoever. I also did one rig as a clean install and all 4 are working fine.

I also removed the Windows.old folder from 3 computers and again still have no problems. This is not to say as @davehc points out that other people won't have a problem after the upgrade. :)

Reaction score
It looks like the Windows community has removed the pinned thread about the build update downloads being stopped. It may have just timed out but I might expect the downloads to resume tomorrow..

Hopefully, there will at least be some news ..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Tempting.... I'll probably grab the ISO when it becomes available again, but.....
I don't see any upside to using it for anything of value right now.
I'd only end up, back where I am.

Reaction score
I still have one Dell system which has not upgraded. I was on the Dell site today and saw some mention that the system was not approved by Dell for this build... Since I have a backup, I will try it anyway.. ;)

Reaction score
no news is good news, isn't it?? lets hope they will be done by the end of the month...

Reaction score
Maybe I am looking at an old page but it appears the .iso for 1809 is available again..

Reaction score
Lol. And what would be the point of Windows 10 forums if everything worked!

Ask a Question