SOLVED Anyone seen the new build upgrade (1809) yet?

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but I must ask. Why download to an ISO rather than to a flash drive? I thought with a flash drive I could go direct into the applications.

Thanks for be patient with me. I do appreciate!!

Reaction score
There is an option to mount the ISO and install the update from within Windows. I always like installing from the installation media at boot. It avoids some possibilities of failure the OS could present.

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but I must ask. Why download to an ISO rather than to a flash drive? I thought with a flash drive I could go direct into the applications.
If you build a flash drive, the files have to download to that slow medium. If you download the .iso, it downloads at full speed all you have to do is mount the image and copy the files over, much faster.

I also reuse my flash drives so I don't have to go through the process of setting them up again, just remove old files and add new ones.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There was so much activity that, to double the terror, the hard disk light looked as though it had ceased to function, just one continuous red glow!
I've also had that experience. I thought that the hard drive had locked and that, that accounted for what I was seeing on the screen.
Turns out I was wrong..... AGAIN!

I've adopted a get up and walk away posture, so....
I go make a sandwich or a pot of coffee, walk out and get the mail, whatever
Just to keep me from making things worse instead of better which I'm pretty much famous for.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why download to an ISO rather than to a flash drive?
IN addition to what's been mentioned above.....
It's become more or less a habit to me, to have the ISO on hand.
Back in the day, before 64 bit became so ubiquitous, I would often generate both 32 and 64 bit installation media separately. Now you can host them both in the same ISO and on the same installation media, but....
I still find myself generating installation media for older MBR / Legacy BIOS systems separate from GPT / UEFI systems.

It just seems more convenient to keep the ISO on hand.
With kids, grandkids and friends like mine you never know when one of my Thumb Drives will sprout legs.
Being able generate installation media from the ISO in a few minutes onto a new medium is just handy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've also had that experience. I thought that the hard drive had locked and that, that accounted for what I was seeing on the screen.
Turns out I was wrong..... AGAIN!

I've adopted a get up and walk away posture, so....
I go make a sandwich or a pot of coffee, walk out and get the mail, whatever
Just to keep me from making things worse instead of better which I'm pretty much famous for.

Same here patience is the key!, Today I used the first release 1809 ISO and CU KB4467708 to bring my second machine from 1803 back into the real world, all went like clockwork. However, I did get a scare. When I came back to check the progress I had a black screen. :eek:
I sat staring at the black screen for what seemed like hours, after moving the mouse I was greeted with the welcome screen :)

Reaction score

I always create an ISO first, then make a flash drive from it. The reason I do that way is this: If I make a flash drive directly from the MCT, the flash drive will be in FAT32 formatted and therefore has the same restrictions (especially when you name the drive, you are restricted to max 11 characters). With my converter program I do not have these restrictions as I can choose which format I use (I usually use NTFS) cause when named the drive does not have the 11 character restrictions. I usually name them according to the system that is on it like "1809.17763.134".
Even if I want to upgrade, I'd rather use the ISO as I can mount it in a virtual DVD drive cause the data transfer is faster than a flash drive.
This is just my reasoning on how to use the MCT...

Reaction score
I always create an ISO first, then make a flash drive from it. The reason I do that way is this: If I make a flash drive directly from the MCT, the flash drive will be in FAT32 formatted and therefore has the same restrictions (especially when you name the drive, you are restricted to max 11 characters). With my converter program I do not have these restrictions as I can choose which format I use (I usually use NTFS) cause when named the drive does not have the 11 character restrictions. I usually name them according to the system that is on it like "1809.17763.134".
Even if I want to upgrade, I'd rather use the ISO as I can mount it in a virtual DVD drive cause the data transfer is faster than a flash drive.
This is just my reasoning on how to use the MCT...
I use the MCT process to get both the USB drive for both x86 and x64 and the .iso file for both x86 and x64. Then I use a DVD+R/DL disc to burn the .iso onto. Doing both options gives me more flexibility when working with clients' computers.

Reaction score

I always save the iso on to my external hdd, in case I need it down the road. I can burn it to dvd or a flash drive whenever I need it.

Reaction score

If you look at the files and Folders on both types they are pretty much the same and both types of media are bootable. The USB has to be formatted as FAT32 [done during the process] so as to be bootable in any PC.

Reaction score
At what point did you encounter the error.
I just tried it again this morning and it seemed to work as expected

View attachment 9456
I never got that far, it said working and then the error message showed, I downloaded it twice but both times failed at the same point!. :(:(:( 3rd download, error message below, I just tried it again, no luck. :(:(:(

download error.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
IMHO. 7MS
There is a limit, to how long you can go on patching. Windows has been undergoing this process since Vista.
Time they got some REAL programmers and rewrote the OS. (Oh. Woops! Already done! I think it is called Linux.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first one is likely linked to their continuous meddling with the network stack, seems a vicious fix / break cycle
Second, third party software program
Third, third party hardware

Bif

Reaction score
Got it this morning and aside from the usual issues with Defender definitions via WU all seems to have went without a hitch ( hope I don't eat those words )..touch everything made of wood in my general vicinity.
Now I run "the latest and greatest" (again)...until the next debacle at least.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
If you look at the files and Folders on both types they are pretty much the same and both types of media are bootable. The USB has to be formatted as FAT32 [done during the process] so as to be bootable in any PC.
That is not true, internet BS. NTFS will boot, Rufus has a writeup about this.
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FAQ
Scroll down until you see this title.
Blah UEFI Blah FAT32, therefore Rufus should Blah!
Okay, let's just start by getting this out of the way:

WHAT YOU HAVE READ ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG.

NO, UEFI does NOT force the use of FAT32 for boot.....

Ask a Question