SOLVED Anyone seen the new build upgrade (1809) yet?

Reaction score
NO, UEFI does NOT force the use of FAT32 for boot.....
Your comments are misleading because it appears Rufus, which I do not use, has a UEFI to NTFS converter which is just a workaround. . UEFI does require FAT32 or it is not recognized during the boot as a UEFI compatible drive.

If I remember what I read several years ago, FAT32 is required due to the bit version of the boot utilities.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Rufus will generally automatically change the file system when you select you partition scheme.
MBR for a target system with Legacy BIOS and or UEFI-CSM it will auto select NTFS
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.
GPT for a target system with UEFI (non-CSM) gets a Fat32 auto selection.

OF course you can trick any UEFI system into booting from media that it would not otherwise support by simply going into the BIOS and disabling Secure Boot, which basically takes the system to a Legacy BIOS type configuration, which.....
Really seems to me, to be self defeating.

I always create one of each

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For the sake of sanity, I am going to assume the use of disks with a GPT partition table, and EFI FAT32 EFI system partitions. Depending on how deep you’re going to dive into this stuff you may find out that it’s not strictly speaking the case that you can always assume you’ll be dealing with GPT disks and EFI FAT32 ESPs when dealing with UEFI native boot, but the UEFI specification is quite strongly tied to GPT disks and EFI FAT32 ESPs, and this is what you’ll be dealing with in 99% of cases. Unless you’re dealing with Macs, and quite frankly, screw Macs.
SOURCE (AND Actually a pretty good read) https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/25/uefi-boot-how-does-that-actually-work-then/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes the intel display driver issue is mentioned in the link that Saltgrass posted above and it also has a link to the previous problem relating to intel sound drivers ISST (Intel Smart Sound Technology).
You'd think with at least six months between releases that the top tier chipset manufacturers would be able to coordinate with Microsoft to work through their respective driver issues.

Reaction score
I have always respected MS for one thing, at least. They did keep their drivers, as supplied in new releases, reasonably up to date.
A month ago I was trying to get an antiquated PC to run successfully. For some reason, as an aside thought and the result of some frustrating problems, I went to my daily Laptop, I went through the device manager, with particular attention to the Intel Hardware. Everyone found an update - this on1809 17763.134.

Have a check,guys

Reaction score
Your comments are misleading because it appears Rufus, which I do not use, has a UEFI to NTFS converter which is just a workaround. . UEFI does require FAT32 or it is not recognized during the boot as a UEFI compatible drive.

If I remember what I read several years ago, FAT32 is required due to the bit version of the boot utilities.
Your comments are not factual.
UEFI does not require FAT32, period.
If you don't wish to read & learn, there is nothing I can do to convince you.

Reaction score
UEFI does not require FAT32, period.
Is that why the MCT/Media Creation Tool process automatically reformats any USB Thumb drive as FAT32 up to a maximum of 32GB [Windows limit] during the creation of the bootable USB Thumb drive? I mistakenly used a 64GB drive and lost use of half the drive, couldn't even create a new partition in the unallocated space, had to fully clean it to restore 64GB.

T_J

Reaction score
My 2012 Dell desktop finally received the 1809 update on Dec 11; desktop seems to be running perfectly today. I only use the ‘Windows Update’ method or I would probably lose free Dell installed software (Microsoft Office Starter 2010; Adobe Photoshop / Premiere).

Last edited:

Ask a Question