SOLVED Anyone seen the new build upgrade (1809) yet?

Bif

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it's really no concern of mine as much as just a curiosity.. as I find nothing to be overly standard with anything MS does aside from causing headaches.
Interesting that it leaves a Windows.Old folder as that hasn't occurred for me since the initial 2015 offering.
Cheers again.. Will wait patiently for it in WU.

Reaction score
Installed the new Windows 10 on my test system. First thing I noticed, Windows has deleted my 8gadgets as incompatible, but they could be reinstalled with all resets that have to occur. Next thing was the Time service not started. After install of new system, Windows Update says it failed?? and a restart may help, although it shows the correct build. Of course the Update history is empty beside the feature update and the WD-AV definitions. This is all I know for now, have not dug deep as of now.....

Reaction score
I upgraded my notebook and one desktop using Update Assistant no issues on either, still have one business computer with some proprietary software for my FFL database talking with the producers first before upgrading that one.

Reaction score
Hi all,

check Control Panel > Recovery > System Protection because mine was switched to "Off" after the update!:

system restore.JPG

You will need to create a new restore point as well. ;);););)

Reaction score
I did a full backup and have just finished installing. As usual I had to reload the old MS solitaire games...it did keep my scores..
I got a notification about finishing installing device software. Dev mgr shows all devices presnt and working.

Reaction score
My Restore Points were deleted and turned off as usual. One thing I've noticed and worthy of mentioning.
BEWARE 1809 has added a new box in "Disk Clean" That is, "Delete Downloads Folder" Beware folks if this box is checked it will delete all the content saved in your Downloads Folder. Not very nice MS.
I always transfer what I want to keep (downloads) from the Download Folder to a USB Thumb drive, makes a clean install less painless.

Reaction score
My wife has just brought to my attention that there is no longer a logout option in the Strat Power icon.
Anyone else, or is it specific to my etups (it's not on any of my computers since the update)
Doesn't bother me a great deal, I use the Windows key + L , but I don't see why they would remove such a trivial, but useful, option.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you look a couple icons higher to where your "Account / Picture" is located, there is a "Sign-out" option located there, as well as "Lock" and if you have multiple users where you could switch users.

Also still available if you right click the start button at the Shutdown or Sign Out context menu option.

Reaction score
Tks Trouble. Couldn't see the second option to log out. I hadn't seen the option further up though. I'll just tell my wife to continue with the Win key

Reaction score
Trouble No icon above my icon picture, just the expand bars.
Nothing has changed with my shutdown sign out options still the same. Win 10 Pro

Reaction score
Both my Insider VM and a 10 Home VM updated to 1809 yesterday. Tried to get it on my year old Dell Laptop thru WU with no luck. Said I was up to date. (Still on 1803). Cloning my brand new HP lap now so I can safely update that thru WU. If no luck I'll download the ISO and do it that way.

Reaction score
My Restore Points were deleted and turned off as usual. One thing I've noticed and worthy of mentioning.
BEWARE 1809 has added a new box in "Disk Clean" That is, "Delete Downloads Folder" Beware folks if this box is checked it will delete all the content saved in your Downloads Folder. Not very nice MS.
I always transfer what I want to keep (downloads) from the Download Folder to a USB Thumb drive, makes a clean install less painless.
I saw that when I cleaned out the install files. I have 210 gb of important files that are in sub folders inside my downloads folder. I'm not happy about that option. Fortunately for now it's unchecked by default. I can see Microsoft changing that though.

Reaction score
Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one. Surely it wasn't an oversight, the same option is now available under settings > system> storage > Free up space now.
affraid.gif

The strange thing about all this is that I have no files in my Local User, or Local Admin Downloads Folders; yet both Disk Clean and Free up Storage show 3.57 MB. Question now is where are the 3.57 MB of downloads. :rolleyes:

Beware I just found this and it's scary.
https://winaero.com/blog/clear-downloads-folder-windows-10/

Reaction score
My work computer won't update to 1809 as well. It tried to and left a hidden folder " $WINDOWS.~BT " which I tried to delete without success. Had to restore an image. Still no update. My main pc does not want to update either although I was able to delete said folder... I am gonna wait with the update a while longer. No need to mess up a working system.....

Ask a Question