MS Pulled/Paused October 2018 Update

Bif

Reaction score
I feel we have all become accustomed to these sort of blunders as being normal and somewhat acceptable, when in truth it's nothing more than ill trained clowns doing a half a**ed job and messing with billions of people in the process.
This isn't Sergio getting your order at Starbucks wrong, these kind of screwups are affecting real people in real ways.. makes you wonder honestly if and when it will ever stop.
Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in the wings, but with bottomless pockets the end user will still come out short changed.
Just my opinion FWIW.

Bif

Reaction score
MS and their pushing of Window 10 to gain market shares has gone the same way as VW, that is MS have lost user confidence in their product.
@Norton that is in my opinion a bang on assessment of the MS state of affairs.

Reaction score
There's more to this 1809 than what MS is telling us. Maybe heads are rolling or a class action Lawsuit pending?
I'm afraid that MS and their pushing of Window 10 to gain market shares has gone the same way as VW, that is MS have lost user confidence in their product.

Its not that bad 'Norton' the surveyed figures are that only 0.01% of users have had any problems with the 1809 update, that is not too bad when there are billions of MS Op's out there. With VW they completely mislead their carbon figures and mislead customers to think that their technology was superior to the others and it affected all their diesel powered vehicles and they lost market share and were fined huge sums of money, big difference! Windows 10 is till the best OP out there and it will get better but and as usual, MS always seems to think that going one step backwards before going two steps forward is the best policy and 1809 is no different lol

Reaction score
Its not that bad 'Norton' the surveyed figures are that only 0.01% of users have had any problems with the 1809 update, that is not too bad when there are billions of MS Op's out there.

Steven G goin by what i just quoted from you .. that's STILL a $#it ton of users that are affected by this "update error"...which as far as i'm concerned it should not have happened ESPECIALLY since affecting a well known computer brand such as HP ...

Granted MS cannot possibly inspect EVERY SINGLE computer configuration that W10 is installed on especially with how much people can customize their computers but agan.. we are talking also here about a WELL KNOWN Computer brand (as well as custom built systems) that seems to be affected by this 'update to the update'

And then on top of it to release an 'update to the update' that still messes things up .. you cant honestly say they didn't know some things would "break" with this update . ESPECIALLY since they TOTALLY by bypassed the Preview/Test ring .. which if my memory serves that is what the Preview/Test ring is for .. to make sure things DON"T break/hose a system ..

Irregardless of the fact that GRANTED most users that are on the Preview/Test ring ( which i am not ) or those that are more "computer savvy' know to back up their systems on a regular basis .. but most 'casual users' don't know how to ..

Reaction score
I'm afraid that MS apparently appears to be bypassing the preview test ring, Users have become the "New" test ring (sacrificial Lambs) for the sake of greed, expediency, corporate mismanagement and sheer laziness.
Just my opinion!

Reaction score
Im just glad i warned my buddy overseas (England) to totally avoid the update he happens to have an HP Laptop and hes not all that "tech savvy" lol this mess up would NOT have been a good thing :(

Reaction score
"lonewolfmage" I'm not trying to make any excuses for MS, yes they made a mistake as I've said in my previous posts and on the MS community, which is, that they always go 1 step or even 2 backwards then 2 forward or maybe 3.

I'm not justifying anything and I totally agree with you but, there are a $#it ton more users that 1809 is working perfectly for than not. As far as HP is concerned, I can't understand why its especially HP, they must have certain aspects of their imbedded HP software that conflicts with this update and that is HP's fault. MS can't accomodate M10 to every imbedded software that all these manufacturers put out. I've built many custom computers and modified laptops and the first thing that I always do when I buy a laptop especially (as custom built desktops don't have imbedded software) is that I do a clean install of the OP system and get rid of all the imbedded software, that can conflict with the main OP system in this way.

My Acer Aspire 5750/2414 (yes its been upgraded) that's 8 years old has always worked perfectly on its standard Win7 64bit that it came with then 8, 8.1 and W10 Pro including 1809 update's that has no imbedded Acer software. Maybe HP users should look at a clean install of W10 so that they don't have these problems again and/or backup their system 'regularly with Macrium Reflect v7 etc otherwise they will always experience these sorts of update problems with their imbedded software.

Btw, I've got a full backup of the 1803 KB4462919 (OS Build 17134.345) which is its last cumulative update but, the 1809 KB4464330 (OS Build 17763.55) works perfectly and I wouldn't go back to 1803 version as the 1809 its far better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MS can't accomodate M10 to every imbedded software that all these manufacturers put out,
This is where I somewhat disagree. But changing things every 6 months is overkill and akin to break it all. Six months is way too frequently, and it has shown with the public releases of the last two builds.

Reaction score
This is where I somewhat disagree. But changing things every 6 months is overkill and akin to break it all. Six months is way too frequently, and it has shown with the public releases of the last two builds.

Its not the changing of things, It is, highly probable since it has happened so frequently in the past...that certain makes of computers are being adversely affected by 1809 and we all know why. Certain manufacturers are slow to update their devices to work better with Windows 10. And there is one well known manufacturer of Processors (AMD) that is guilty of similar behavior. But checking for Software and Firmware Updates from the MANUFACTURERS of these devices would still be an advisable first step in correcting any issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its not the changing of things
I don't think you follow what I am saying. If it is not broke don't fix it. Microsoft has been changing thing for the sake of changing them. Every time you make changes you risk failure. Microsoft had a good thing with Windows 7, but they decided to change gears. And they are continuously changing gears. So in a nut shell the glitches will never stop.

Reaction score
I don't think you follow what I am saying. If it is not broke don't fix it. Microsoft has been changing thing for the sake of changing them. Every time you make changes you risk failure. Microsoft had a good thing with Windows 7, but they decided to change gears. And they are continuously changing gears. So in a nut shell the glitches will never stop.

I do get what you are saying but, W10 is not broke and this is not a fix and/or "changing thing for the sake of changing them" its a version update to add more features! Now, if you studied the v1809 and all its added features (see here: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2018-changelog) then you would understand as they are considerable, this is how software is improved and more features are added! Now, its bad luck if manufacturers want to advertise their fancy features and how great their systems work with W10, its a pity that they don't update and/or cooperate with MS to be right up to date with MS's latest updates, this has been happening for ages now and its not MS's fault. That is why (as I've said) the first thing that I do when I buy a new laptop, I do a clean install of the OP so that i will have a none imbedded manufacturers software problems with my system, this is unfortunate but its the most logical and safest way to have your laptop work faultlessly, like I have explained above. Or and maybe manufacturers should control their OP system updates like the smartphone manufacturers do with Android e.g. Samsung, LG etc as they don't allow the latest Android update until they have completely scrutinised it and its safe to be updated to their smartphones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do get what you are saying but, W10 is not broke
Well when you take a car in for repair it is technically not broke either. It is a specific component that potentially cripples the car. And yes Windows 10 has components that cripple it. And yes this is a change thing because Windows 10 didn't have the issues before specific builds, meaning something changed. I'm sorry but you seem like you are not thinking this through clearly. If Windows builds were not broken, Microsoft would have no need in pulling them from availability.

One feature of which that is broken is automatic updates. Just the other day I had an application working. When I came back to my machine the application was not running. Windows had rebooted. Since I remove all startup application, the application did not start back. This is unacceptable and breaks my productivity. So yes it is broken, when I can not use my machine the way I need it to function.

You are arguing over semantics of what people consider broken. Of which both sides (yours and mine) are opinions. If you want I can give you a long list of broken applications, since the release of Windows 95. The main one is IE and now Edge. Windows Explorer never has worked the way it should. Networking never has worked the way it should, and that includes the now deceased Homegroup. I have absolutely given up on trying to keep networking functional. I get it working and two months later nothing. Don't even get me started on the Start Menu or the abomination Cortana that should be an opt-in. Speaking of Opt-in, half the crap in Windows 10 should be opt-in. Because they are usually replaced by third party applications that actually function and function better. The list just keeps going. I am however certain you don't want to hear the rest. I was being brief in earlier comments, but I can make a longer comment. That is if you persist in saying Windows 10 is not broken.

Reaction score
I would not care to allocate too much blame at individual organisations. I have made my (bad) feelings tpwards MS very apparent in previous posts.
However, Out of this thread conglomeration of moans, I would care to emphasise and critise one point made:
"Granted MS cannot possibly inspect EVERY SINGLE computer configuration that W10 is installed on especially with how much people can customize their computers but agan.. we are talking also here about a WELL KNOWN Computer brand (as well as custom built systems) that seems to be affected by this 'update to the update' "
No, they cannot. That was supposed to be one of the saviours of opening the test to the wide world.
If you care to browse through the feedback, (an extremely difficult task)you will, over the past couple of years, see many comments regarding, in particular, HP components in general. I even spotted a couple relating to , just a very few, missing files on these machines. By the same argument, I would repeat that observation for Intel.
Why did MS not spot a problem there? Because of their blunder in opening up far too many avenues for feedback. The volume was immense, and any individual complaints could easily have slipped through the cracks.
The last, the withdrawal of a fix for the blunder, was unforgiveable, but probably done in a state of panic, before users and their legal reps descended on them.
Like the majority, I have been, for my own computers and those I assist with, one of the lucky users, right through the updating processes. No, it was not, as said on another post, anything to do with keeping the drivers up to date. This is, or should be done, through the regular updates.
None of my acquaintance's happen to have HPs. Possibly that is one reason. Also, they are all older, and latecomers to the world of computers. They leave the maintenance to me.
It could be related to that, but, my personal opinion is the choice of make and, mostly - pure luck.

Reaction score
Some interesting comments and opinions on this page, I think that the twice yearly updates should be optional and that way; people with a stable OS can leave it and upgrade later when desired. :rolleyes:

Ubuntu (Linux based OS) also does twice yearly upgrades but they also have an LTS (Long Term Support) version which will not be required to upgrade for up to 5 years. Maybe MS should adopt that tactic?. :):):)

Reaction score
Well when you take a car in for repair it is technically not broke either. It is a specific component that potentially cripples the car. And yes Windows 10 has components that cripple it. And yes this is a change thing because Windows 10 didn't have the issues before specific builds, meaning something changed. I'm sorry but you seem like you are not thinking this through clearly. If Windows builds were not broken, Microsoft would have no need in pulling them from availability.

One feature of which that is broken is automatic updates. Just the other day I had an application working. When I came back to my machine the application was not running. Windows had rebooted. Since I remove all startup application, the application did not start back. This is unacceptable and breaks my productivity. So yes it is broken, when I can not use my machine the way I need it to function.

You are arguing over semantics of what people consider broken. Of which both sides (yours and mine) are opinions. If you want I can give you a long list of broken applications, since the release of Windows 95. The main one is IE and now Edge. Windows Explorer never has worked the way it should. Networking never has worked the way it should, and that includes the now deceased Homegroup. I have absolutely given up on trying to keep networking functional. I get it working and two months later nothing. Don't even get me started on the Start Menu or the abomination Cortana that should be an opt-in. Speaking of Opt-in, half the crap in Windows 10 should be opt-in. Because they are usually replaced by third party applications that actually function and function better. The list just keeps going. I am however certain you don't want to hear the rest. I was being brief in earlier comments, but I can make a longer comment. That is if you persist in saying Windows 10 is not broken.

“clifford_cooley” there’s been some glitches with windows since W95 (23 years) yes I realise that as technology has advanced to a staggering level since that period, that was the past and W10 is for now and for the future of what MS is doing, W10 is the best OP out there (and I also am using iOS12) and W10 leaves it for dead, in features and ability of its ease of usage. I’ve been very happy with W10 and v1809 is no different, it works faultlessly for me and I’ve gone through and tested the majority of the new features on it and they all work.

Ok let’s analyse your points, MS is only being cautious with pulling 1809 off, they have treated the v1809 problem(s) responsibly, as they should. Now, with ‘automatic updates’ you do realise that you can schedule the download and install times? Hence, that should have not happened, if you had your updates scheduled for a time that you are not working with any application(s), this is basic knowledge and procedure(s).

Then this…“If you want I can give you a long list of broken applications, since the release of Windows 95. The main one is IE and now Edge. Windows Explorer never has worked the way it should. Networking never has worked the way it should, and that includes the now deceased Homegroup”.

IE has been a bit buggy but not as faulty as you make it out to be, I haven’t had many problems with IE and used it throughout and until Edge was introduced, as far as Edge is concerned, it works faultlessly for me and is the most secure WB on the market. HomeGroup, is something that has been buggy but MS has pulled it off windows 10 since v1803, Cortana is just like Bixby or Siri on iOS12 and smartphones, they are all a buggy idea and I’ve never ever used them and/or intend to use them.

“clifford_cooley” as you have pointed out, windows users are very well aware of some glitches with the MS OP's over the years but and surely someone like you should know and realise by now that all the computer programs e.g. Windows and iOS are all prone to niggly things and glitches. Window users are used to all that but, Win10 is the best one out as all of us that have been using MS Windows since its inception know that and as the saying goes "one bird in the hand is better than two in the bush' lol

Reaction score
Some interesting comments and opinions on this page, I think that the twice yearly updates should be optional and that way; people with a stable OS can leave it and upgrade later when desired. :rolleyes:

Ubuntu (Linux based OS) also does twice yearly upgrades but they also have an LTS (Long Term Support) version which will not be required to upgrade for up to 5 years. Maybe MS should adopt that tactic?. :):):)
I'm more a fan of the rolling release, such as Arch based distro's. But either way, Microsoft can learn a lot with their new love affair with linux.