Dedicated and Integrated GPU Drivers not loading upon wake.

Reaction score
So as the subject says whenever I wake my desktop running windows 10 I notice my dedicated nvidia GPU driver uninstalls itself or just doesn't run. After it falls asleep again and I wake it back up. I noticed my integrated GPU drivers have not loaded or uninstalled. So then after two sleeps I am left with terrible graphics. All of this is temporarily fixed upon a full computer restart but will once again happen if it falls asleep. I have a bit of an older graphics card an Nvidia 770 and an Intel i5 4670k. As said above I am running windows 10 professional and have only noticed the problem upon updating to windows 10 from 8.1. This becomes annoying when trying to play a game and realize that my graphics card isn't loaded so I have to restart constantly. Do you know of a fix to my issue or is this permanent with windows 10?

I have read on the internet that it may have something to do with windows automatic updates and how it will update my drivers and needs to be restarted. If this is true then why is it every time the computer goes to sleep? None of this makes sense to me so if you have any help or input that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Have you considered having the computer NOT go to sleep ? I turn on my PC when I get up and turn it off when I go to bed. Don't use sleep or hibernate. The power consumption of a modern PC and an LCD monitor is very low.

Reaction score
Well that does sound like the obvious solution but even then it doesn't fix my problem. What i have seen is only a restart will fix the graphics and not even a shut down resets it.

Reaction score
If it is a desktop, have you checked the bios for any settings regarding the iGPU or Discreet video adapters? You may need to turn the iGPU or possibly some reference to the PCIe version.

Have you checked for a Bios firmware update?

I run GTX 680s on one system with the Intel video and no problems have ever arisen. I do not run the software which allows sharing the video adapters.

Reaction score
My aging I7 Acer machine has run W10 since release day and has Nvidia graphics, an old cheap 630. I always install the latest drivers when GeForce prompts for one. Never even checked my BIOS for an update nor for the integrated graphics...although I know my system has such.

Reaction score
I never thought about updating my bios. I just did. I always run the latest drivers as well so i don't think it has anything to do with that. I skimmed the bios settings and didn't see anything to do with iGPU.

Edit: updating bios did not fix it. I will look again at the settings to find anything to do with pcie

Last edited:

Ask a Question