SOLVED Dell integrated webcam video not working after Windows 10 update

Reaction score
After installing Windows 10, my integrated Dell webcam video is not working. After exhausting every option possible, bottom line is that Dell is not supporting my laptop model in Windows 10. There is no Windows 10 webcam driver available other than the one that Windows 10 installs automatically. It does not open my Dell webcam video.

Any suggestions other than installing a USB webcam?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Which Model?

I have ani5 Vostro and i5 Latitude, both quite old, with the camera working

Reaction score
It is a 3 year old Inspiron 15R 5520. The Dell website indicates that it is not a model for which they are updating webcam drivers for Windows 10.

Reaction score
How about downloading one which they have for an older OS - Win 8 etc, and running it in compatibility mode?

Reaction score
Not entirely sure how to do that but it's worth a try. Thanks!
Go back into the Dell driver site put in your service tag, or let Dell find it on your machine.n the driver download page, you can choose which OS for which you need drivers. Select 8/8.1/7 and scan down the list for camera drivers.

Like this:

Dell.PNG

Reaction score
I followed your instructions. I don't see any drivers for the webcam specifically. I so appreciate your trying to help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you check Device Manager?
Right click the Start Button and choose device manager from the context menu.
Do you see your web cam listed?
Under imaging devices or perhaps listed as an unknown device / other with an exclamation icon indicating that there is no driver installed?

Reaction score
My webcam is listed under the device manager. There is no exclamation icon. I have uninstalled both the device and the driver several times. The webcam still has no video.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you say "The webcam still has no video", are you talking about from within the Dell "Webcam Central" application or are you talking about Skype or some other instant messaging application like Live Messenger or something else entirely.

Reaction score
When you say "The webcam still has no video", are you talking about from within the Dell "Webcam Central" application or are you talking about Skype or some other instant messaging application like Live Messenger or something else entirely.

I am specifically referring to the webcam in Skype. It all worked just fine before installing Windows 10.

Reaction score
This is the message from Dell concerning my computer:

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected

Reaction score
This is the message from Dell concerning my computer:

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected
That is understood. I have two dell Laptops, which get that message. I am using one now. Both work 100% with Windows 10. No backward compatibility drivers were needed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Dave..... have you tried your integrated WebCam with Skype and if so.... does it seem to work for you?

Ask a Question