SOLVED Which class of SD memory card to buy for my Dell laptop?

Reaction score
My new Dell Inspiron I7773 laptop has an SD card slot, and I'd like to put a fast 128 GB or larger card in it to play video files when I go portable with it occasionally. However, I can't seem to find out if there is a capacity upper limit (in GB) or speed class limit and don't want to purchase one only to discover that I've spent serious $$ on a card that the computer can't use. Please, can anyone tell me what card size/type to buy? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
You should be able to use any of the SDHC cards in the SD slot, the older SD cards were limited in size such as 4GB. Probably could use the MicroSDXC cards as used in SmartPhones and Tablet that come with an adapter for SDHC slots.

Reaction score
I agree with Bighorn, after doing some research on the Dell website I could not find any limitations on SD cards, neither in speed nor in capacity. Since the card reader usually occupies a USB port, it's speed maybe limited to either USB2 or in the best case at USB3 speed. I cannot tell from what I have seen about this model...

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I'll be purchasing an SD card soon with much more confidence than before that it will work in my laptop

Reaction score
" Since the card reader usually occupies a USB port, it's speed maybe limited to either USB2 "
Wouldn't that be only for an external card reader? The OP mentions a built in slot, as I have on my Dells. No USB ports involved.

Reaction score
" Since the card reader usually occupies a USB port, it's speed maybe limited to either USB2 "
Wouldn't that be only for an external card reader? The OP mentions a built in slot, as I have on my Dells. No USB ports involved.

On some PC even the internal card reader are connected to the USB controller, most of them, and here comes my correction, are connected to the PCI bridge.Based on that, you are correct.

Ask a Question