Multimedia Class Scheduler

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Out of curiosity could you open your Services window and take a peek to see whether you see listed there Multimedia Class Scheduler. If you do see it listed what version or Windows 10 are you using (Home, Enterprise, Pro)? Also what Build?

For those not sure how to get to Services:

Option 1:
  • Type Services in your search / Cortana box and press Enter

Option 2:
  • Right-click on Start then select Run then type Services.msc and click OK

Option 3:
  • Press Winkey + X | press T | open Services tab in Task Manager's top tool bar

If it is present I am interested in knowing whether its Startup type is set to:
  • Auto Start (Delayed)
  • Auto Start
  • Manual Start
  • Disabled

Double-left click (or right-click | select Properties) on the service to review its Startup type

I'm currently working on a tweak to Safe Boot mode, both with and without Networking, but as I do not have access to all the versions of Windows 10 need your guys input :)

Thanks in advance

Regedit32

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Checked mine......
Nothing like that, that I could find.

Capture.JPG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Checked mine......
Nothing like that, that I could find.

Hi Trouble,

Thanks for looking. Plenty of views on the topic but sadly you're the first to invest 30 seconds of your life to responding :(

The same is true for me too. The Service is missing, but as I do not have access currently to Enterprise or Professional editions I was interested to see whether they still use the Service.

It's unusual as the Service has a dedicated Hive key in the Windows Registry still.

I also noted the mmcss.dll file that would have been present in say Windows 7 %windir%\system32 folder is no longer present in Home edition of Windows 10, but that a mmcss.sys is present in the system32\drivers folder. This too is called on from the Registry.

Perhaps this is a Service Microsoft will introduce in its next Build update.

I've been researching this to see whether they are managing this service differently now, but there seems to be very little information on the topic for Windows 10. Plenty if you has an older OS though.

Regards,

Regedit32

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The image above is from pro version 10586.218
Just checked my other machine running Pro version 14332.1001 and the services are identical more or less.
Still no Multimedia Class Scheduler

Regedit32

Reaction score
The image above is from pro version 10586.218
Just checked my other machine running Pro version 14322.1001 and the services are identical more or less.
Still no Multimedia Class Scheduler

Thanks Trouble. I appreciate you taking the time to look for me.

I'll email Microsoft about it tomorrow and make use of the Feedback utility also, as I am keen to continue with my project but for now cannot until I can confirm whether this particular Service is deprecated or not.

Reaction score
Hi and has anyone ever come back to this issue to see if this Multimedia Class Scheduler service is still being used by Win10 Pro (I have Windows 10 Pro v1703 build 15063.674) -- I am having an issue where my Lenovo T410 laptop periodically loses audio that seemed to start right after the latest major Win10 update. If I reboot is seems to come back for a while. In reviewing a few troubleshooting threads, this is one service that I should look for to confirm it is running and automatic. The mmcss.sys file is in my windows system directory. Would appreciate any input. Thanks, Rick

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up.
You can also see it, without a third party software package by launching the native System Information Utility
msinfo32
from the Run dialog box
You should find it at Software Environment -> System Drivers -> listed alphabetically as mmcss

Capture.PNG

Ask a Question