Classic Shell

Reaction score
What are your opinions on Classic Shell, I like the idea of Windows 10 looking like Windows 7 but the interface I find to clunky with all those tiles, much prefer the classic desktop, I know my way around that.
Classic Shell is not an authorised add on as far as I know so is Microsoft happy with you changing
the appearance of their operating system, and what about security, will it make the system more vunerable to viruses etc. the way. I have used Classic Shell before and was very happy with it behaviour but for some unknown reason the system crashed when I used Kaspersky Internet Security and installing one of their free addons.
Your opinions on it would be appreciated on Classic Shell and security issues.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I personally feel the Classic Shell is dated and installing it simply removes the functionality Windows 10 has to offer which in time will improve.

Having said that, I understand some people are more familiar with the Classic Shell layout and prefer to use this style and that is fine. So far as I am aware this add-on is safe to use and ought not to cause any security issues, although it would be wise to only download this from its official website as other sites could bundle third party junk or malware to the download.

I cannot speak for Microsoft, but given they are not actively preventing its install and use for the time being, it would seem they are for now OK with users doing this. It is possible at some time in the future they may include Software Restriction Policies in a cumulative update that would prevent users doing this. If that happens then you'll just have to learn to use the new layout.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I personally feel the Classic Shell is dated and installing it simply removes the functionality Windows 10 has to offer which in time will improve.
Absolutely agree.
While I respect those who do use, like and swear by Classic Shell.....
Personally I enjoy the fact that my phone, desktop, laptop and tablet all have the same look and feel.
IDK..... I guess, much the same as most other things in life it boils down to a matter of personal preference.
You should use whatever makes your use of your device(s) the most comfortable and productive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If that happens then you'll just have to learn to use the new layout.
Yes and that will be the day I stop updating or use something else. That is precisely the reason I wouldn't and still won't have anything to do with Windows 8. With Windows 10 being a free upgrade, I looking passed some of the issues I had with Windows 8. Even though Windows 10 does have a start menu, if I loose the ability to use my own menu, I will treat Windows 10 with the same hatred I have for Windows 8.

I don't like the tiles interface. I could learn to live with the tiles, but I despise the colors behind them. And lets not forget the alphabetic menu, cluttering everything together. The user once again lost a little control in Windows 10. This time over sorting their own menu items.

TLDR:
Classic Shell has become one of the applications that is keeping me with Windows. I even sold my parents (both of them) on Classic Shell the moment they first saw Windows 10's tiles.

Reaction score
I have just completed the install of the Anniversary Update. On completion there was a notification that Classic Shell had been removed as it was not compatible. Fine. I then found in the Apps and Features it was still present and could be uninstalled. How can Microsoft state it has been removed and I find it is still present?

Reaction score
I have just completed the install of the Anniversary Update. On completion there was a notification that Classic Shell had been removed as it was not compatible. Fine. I then found in the Apps and Features it was still present and could be uninstalled. How can Microsoft state it has been removed and I find it is still present?
The new version of Classic Shell works fine. It even released the same day as the Anniversary Update released. Download and install the update for Classic Shell and don't worry about what Windows tells you.

Ask a Question