Just LOVE Classic Shell

Reaction score
I like to see a menu on the Start button that gives me more control, more uses and makes it more like XP or 7 if that is your wish. I use Classic Shell to make my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 PRO at work more bearable. In fact, it looks and behaves a lot like XP now, with extra fluff and apps. Check out the Classic Shell website, and you will see just how much it offers for customization. I can even make the taskbar on the Windows 10 transparent and control how much transparency it has using Classic Shell 4.2.4

Web link is here: -> http://www.classicshell.net/

Vern

Reaction score
Same here. I have very little use for Windows 10 Start Menu.
  • I hated the pastel squares of the pinned Start Menu listings. Without them the menu is useless.
  • I hated the dependency of search. Which was removed from the start menu to take up additional space on the Taskbar.
  • And the ABC program listing. Don't get me started. That could get quite cumbersome (it is from the start in my opinion) as your library grows

Classic Shell gives back usability that was taken from Start Menu in Windows 10. I give both my parents a full week with Windows 10 Start Menu before introducing them to Classic Shell. They instantly accepted Classic Shell over the Windows 10 Start Menu.

Additional note:
There really is very little from Microsoft that I can continue to replace without having to switch Operating Systems. At this point the Operating System is full of bloat that is continually paid for and never used, especially from my stand point.

Reaction score
I do have pictures, not pastel, on some items I have pinned to start. But I have not used that window much, so not many on it.
I have not found any dependency on search, but I am not sure what you infer there? I do, however, still have search in my start menu, even though I have hidden it on the task bar. I can also pin it start, so that the icon would be more convenient for use.
Agreed a little on the alphabetical listing, but, of course, this does make it easier to scroll down to, for example, something in P (Paint), without to much hunting.
I must confess that, through successive lOSs, I have invariably arranged menu items alphabetically, anyway.
I am a normal user and,from my point of view, Microsoft OSs have always had many programs which I would never use. Nothing new in Windows 10, and those that are, can easily be eliminated from the start menu

Reaction score
I like to see a menu on the Start button that gives me more control, more uses and makes it more like XP or 7 if that is your wish. I use Classic Shell to make my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 PRO at work more bearable. In fact, it looks and behaves a lot like XP now, with extra fluff and apps. Check out the Classic Shell website, and you will see just how much it offers for customization. I can even make the taskbar on the Windows 10 transparent and control how much transparency it has using Classic Shell 4.2.4

Web link is here: -> http://www.classicshell.net/

Vern

Oh absolutely, Classic Shell is an absolute must. It's the first thing I install.

Mind you, I still use the taskbar from win xp.....:D

Reaction score
Same here. I have very little use for Windows 10 Start Menu.
  • I hated the pastel squares of the pinned Start Menu listings. Without them the menu is useless.
  • I hated the dependency of search. Which was removed from the start menu to take up additional space on the Taskbar.
  • And the ABC program listing. Don't get me started. That could get quite cumbersome (it is from the start in my opinion) as your library grows

Classic Shell gives back usability that was taken from Start Menu in Windows 10. I give both my parents a full week with Windows 10 Start Menu before introducing them to Classic Shell. They instantly accepted Classic Shell over the Windows 10 Start Menu.

Additional note:
There really is very little from Microsoft that I can continue to replace without having to switch Operating Systems. At this point the Operating System is full of bloat that is continually paid for and never used, especially from my stand point.

For many people, their computer is never asked to do more than get email and log onto sites like Facebook or for shopping. ALL of that can easily be done in XP. In fact, if that is all you are going to do, there is little need for a newer OS, but rather spend your money and energies on virus and web secure software. Create a user account on XP with limited abilities, and log into it and surf to your hearts content. Most people have one account, which is Administrator, with full privileges, and if they get a bug or hack it is easy to configure since you are logged in with administrative rights. A limited user would deny many of the avenues that one would find for gaining access to your computer.

Reaction score
A limited user would deny many of the avenues that one would find for gaining access to your computer.
That's not necessarily true. The ONLY safe way to run Windows XP, is to not be connected to the internet. Every IT professional I know says that. Every tech website I visit also says that.

Yes it will cut your chances, but without security updates, anyone would be crazy to use XP.

Reaction score
I can even make the taskbar on the Windows 10 transparent and control how much transparency it has using Classic Shell 4.2.4

Wanna run that by me how to make a transparent taskbar? I have classic shell on another laptop.
I might try it.

Reaction score
Adjust from 0 to 100

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 730
Reaction score
You can, of course, make the taskbar transparent in Windows 10, but there is no control of the depth of it. I am hoping it will be one of the improvements in the forthcoming update.

Reaction score
I found the transparency setting in classic shell settings but when I changed it for win 10 in a dual boot with win 7 the change applied to win 7 instead of win 10 which is where classic shell is installed. How about that one sports fans? I have no idea why my computer seemed to know better than me where to put the change but I didn't like it so changed it back to where it was.

Reaction score
Just did a "reset this pc" function and classic shell was one of the lost settings. Downloaded 4.2.5 and all's well.

Ask a Question