Dell keeps installing their "support assist"

Reaction score
Should be a choice in Settings, Apps to uninstall it. I was getting a message on an upgraded computer from Win7 about that program not being supported in Win10 so I uninstalled it.

Reaction score
Use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall unwanted programs, it removes all traces of any app installs. I was using Dell Support Assist, when I was finished with the app I used Revo to uninstall.

Reaction score
Should be a choice in Settings, Apps to uninstall it. I was getting a message on an upgraded computer from Win7 about that program not being supported in Win10 so I uninstalled it.

tks, I've done that repeatedly

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Run" box and click "OK". When the services applet starts, scroll down and see if "Dell SupportAssist Agent" is running. If so, right-click it, select "Stop", then right-click again, select "Properties", change the "Startup type" to "Disabled" and click "OK".

Ben

Reaction score
Have a look in the task manager - startup tab and see if the program is running there. Disable it, restart, and then uninstall it.

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Run" box and click "OK". When the services applet starts, scroll down and see if "Dell SupportAssist Agent" is running. If so, right-click it, select "Stop", then right-click again, select "Properties", change the "Startup type" to "Disabled" and click "OK".

Ben

Reaction score
it's not in task manager but there 2 ea. Dell vault data collector vault items and 1ea data vault rules processor

Reaction score
It starts every time you log in. It bugged me too, the pop up message " Do you want to allow this app to run" it doesn't understand "NO" Fortunately for me it uninstall using Revo Uninstaller. Are you uninstalling the apps using a Local User account? If so log in using the Local Administrator account and uninstall.
I believe it's tied to the Admin account, the pop up message always requested Local Admin approval "Yes or No" to run.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may have a look at the services console
services.msc
And see what Dell associated service are set to run automatically.
Also have a look at Task Scheduler since it seems to be self resurrecting you may have a task doing exactly that..... Checking with Dell for Software updates or something similar.

Reaction score
it's not in task manager but there 2 ea. Dell vault data collector vault items and 1ea data vault rules processor
Disable both, and try the uninstall again.
Doing so should not cause a problem, and, if required, can easily be enabled again

I have had the program on my computers from time to time, in order, in particular, to check for Bios updates. It has not, so far, ever given me problems with uninstalling.
This is Dells solution:

1) Uninstall Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssist Agent from Control Panel – Programs & Features

2) Remove these folders

1. C:\Program Files\Dell\ DellDataVault
  2. C:\Program Files\Dell\ SupportAssist
  3. Click start & Run, Type- %ProgramData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.
  4. Click start & Run, Type- %AppData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.
3) Click on start run, type regedit, this opens the registry. Make sure the SupportAssistAgent folder does not exists in this location, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssistAgent. If the folder is present right click and say delete.

4) Restart the machine

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some of the Dell (PC Tools) utilities work together. If the primary utility still tries to use one of the others it will keep requesting it. They do update those utilities about as often as they update drivers.

I have the Dell Updater uninstalled since I do my own updates.

I do have one system where Support Assist asks if I want to optimize that system. I normally just ignore it but I will check to see if the utility is running and if I can uninstall it.

Reaction score
I am sorry, I mentioned the wrong alias for the Dell stuff, it should have been PC-Doctor. I have the Support Assist installed on this one system and it is showing two PC-Doctor utilities, Communications Manager and Module are both showing in Task Manager.

I cannot say for sure these are related to the Support Assist utility.

Reaction score
The thread is becoming more and more of a mystery for me. I am an intensive Dell user.I have Dell support assistant permanently installed on one computer. On three others, I install from time to time, as I feel the need to check for updates.
For the sake of it, I have just installed it again on this dell Laptop and run it. (Nothing to report, as I use it regularly). Rebooted a couple of times - no popups.
Uninstalled it - All gone.
Ref Saltgrass'S last post. I don't understand the reference to the three items mentioned, or where they are "showing". I am sure they have nothing to do with Dell.

Reaction score
Many folks are having problems with Support Assist. Possibly is becomes corrupted and starts having these problems. On my one machine with Support Assist installed, I have two listings for it on the Start Menu. I think I remember a few months ago problems with a newer version being able to replace an older version during that update. The reason I don't get popups is probably because I have the Updater uninstalled.

@davehc , you say you don't understand my reference to two items, both PC-Doctor, but you show in your response, two PCDR (PC-Doctor) items to uninstall.

Reaction score
"You say you don't understand my reference to two items, both PC-Doctor, but you show in your response, two PCDR (PC-Doctor) items to uninstall. "
Huh! Where?
Oh, you mean in my post #13. Nothing to do with me - just a verbatim quote from dells site. I have only just looked at it in detail. But you are correct.
And::: Apologies. On investigation, I read that PCDoctor is the program used by Dell to make the initial scan of a computer.

But this exchange does nothing to clarify why it keeps on installing, for the OP.

Reaction score
One more thing. On my desktop I have an icon for Support Assist. It is not to run the program but to install it.

If you have such an icon, you can check it properties and see what it points to. If it is like mine, it will restart the install procedure instead of starting Support Assist.

I probably have the icon because I usually download updates and install manually.

Reaction score
Disable both, and try the uninstall again.
Doing so should not cause a problem, and, if required, can easily be enabled again

I have had the program on my computers from time to time, in order, in particular, to check for Bios updates. It has not, so far, ever given me problems with uninstalling.
This is Dells solution:

1) Uninstall Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssist Agent from Control Panel – Programs & Features

2) Remove these folders

1. C:\Program Files\Dell\ DellDataVault
  2. C:\Program Files\Dell\ SupportAssist
  3. Click start & Run, Type- %ProgramData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.
  4. Click start & Run, Type- %AppData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.
3) Click on start run, type regedit, this opens the registry. Make sure the SupportAssistAgent folder does not exists in this location, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssistAgent. If the folder is present right click and say delete.

4) Restart the machine

Ask a Question