SOLVED Unhappy camper with update to 2004

Reaction score
I installed 2004 yesterday; computer went totally crazy. Examples: Right-clicking on the desktop gave me only new folder. Attempts to save an edited text file repeatedly denied me the rights to do so, even though checking security settings confirmed I had full rights to the folder in which the document resided. Numerous other problems! Wound up having to do a reset! Now, I'm pretty well back in business, but have a few new glitches: On the Task Bar, I created a Quick Launch toolbar with no problems, But on the main Task Bar, there are icons for Edge, File Explorer, Microsoft Store, and Mail and Calender I can't get unpinned. Right-clicking on them does nothing, and only File Explorer does anything -- clicking on any of the other three results only in a momentary window appearing and disappearing. Also, the Notifications icon in the far right shows I have four messages, but neither single or double left-clicking on it anything. Right-clicking brings up a menu which includes Open action center, but nothing happens when I click on that. So...overall, downloading/installing 2004 has not been an enjoyable experience!

Reaction score
You can always revert back to 1909. That's why I give the twice yearly upgrades at least a month if not two, for them to fix all the issues. And there is a lot of problems with 2004. I upgraded one of mine to 2004 and had no issue, but I know people who've had a very bad experience with it. Microsoft has a pretty long list of "known" issues with it. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Reaction score
Another Unhappy Camper with 2004 "Upgrade" I downloaded the new 2004 upgrade today as it was available on my PC. I cannot even get into my PC past the front screen login password, despite trying every password I have written down. I have tried help from my Telco tech guys, they tried a pc unlocker with no joy. I've tried online tutorials for getting round the issue with no joy. I'm sorry Microsoft but I'm really losing confidence in your ability to deliver upgrades that work. I got caught up in the problem with an earlier upgrade this year that cost me 1/4 weeks salary to put right. Now it looks as though I'm facing the same scenario. I see now that there are multiple issues reported, if that is so why do you let the update continue to be used. Has someone got a solution to help me, I'm no geek but would appreciate any advice

Reaction score
Hi Pete,

you can try the following, if you valuable data on your computer, i hope you have it backed up!. :)

If you want to, you can also try this one first. Reset your PC and keep your files intact if you check the right box!. :)

You will still have to install your apps once booted, to save a little time, use the following site. :)

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie,

Firstly thank you for your prompt response and helpful suggestions. Yes I do back up my system to a NAS box but only once a week and it had not been done for 5 days. That will not happen again before I download a major update. The issue I would have had is that I just could not get past the welcome screen password phase, to access the NAS box and reload everything back.
I stumbled upon a fix that gets my old system back, that is useful for anyone facing similar problems. Go to the start menu in the bottom right of the screen and left click on it. Hold down the shift key and click restart. Keep holding the shift key down until a menu comes up. I cant remember the exact steps but there is an option to roll back updates to an earlier version. I selected the feature updates option and let it do it's thing and voila the old system was restored in full.

Reaction score
Bassfisher6522: What's a "CU"? Bigfeet: Thanks -- I found an article how to det Update to postpone installation of feature updates, so set for 180 days! Meanwhile, I'll read the article and see if it addresses the problems I, and it seems PeteJames had. I'm back up in 1909 and plan to stay there for the immediate future!

Reaction score
From my experience over the years and for further reference about upgrades: Microsoft has always given out beta versions of their newest version to beta testers and they fix problems given to them by the beta testers. Then they open it up to the rest of us "testers" to find all the rest of the problems. When they fix all the complaints then they have a pretty stable version to deliver.

Moral of this post: Never, ever update to a new version of Windows until it has been out there for at least 2 months so you don't have to deal with the bugs. Then make very sure you have a good, reliable backup before trying an upgrade. 2004 messed up my machine so bad I was unable to go back to an earlier version.

To keep the major updates from loading on your machine before you want them, turn your WiFi settings to Metered. It doesn't stop the normal weekly updates, only the major ones. :)

Reaction score
Marcycn: Sounds absolutely what I was thinking -- thanks! Re your last thought -- I'm connected to my U-verse modem by an Ethernet cable. and did find the way to do the "metered" option in Settings/Ethernet. Is this better than setting a long delay for feature updates in Settings/Windows Update/Advanced options/Choose when updates are installed?

Reaction score
Marcycn: Sounds absolutely what I was thinking -- thanks! Re your last thought -- I'm connected to my U-verse modem by an Ethernet cable. and did find the way to do the "metered" option in Settings/Ethernet. Is this better than setting a long delay for feature updates in Settings/Windows Update/Advanced options/Choose when updates are installed?

I can't comment on the modem part as I've never done that. I can tell you that metered through Windows has worked for me through many updates. This time when I got in trouble I had unchecked it for some reason (I remember doing it but not why) and forgot to check it again. My bad and boy am I paying for it. :-(

Try this:

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:
  1. Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
  2. Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection.
Oh, and this doesn't set a long delay like Microsoft talks about - it sets a delay that won't go away until you tell your machine it's time to do the install. You are in control instead of Microsoft. :)

Reaction score
The process for Ethernet is similar: Settings > Network & Internet. Double-click on the Ethernet connection shown, and turn on Metered connection.

Ask a Question