SOLVED Unhappy with Task Bar changes

Reaction score
Hi! Usually I’m never one to complain whenever Microsoft makes changes or updates, Except, in Windows 10 last update (Dec) I’m not sure what is it called on the Task Bar where it says "Type here to search” is now white vs. previously being black/dark gray. Probably I invasion Microsoft made this changed based upon a consensus of suggestions. As far as my little research, the background color of where it says "Type here to search” on the Task Bar is irreversible. Granted, this may sound petty to some, but am I alone in feeling this way?

Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
My search bar changes from a slate color to white when I click on the search. I use the icon and it's always been white. The color change maybe related to your desktop background color settings.
I have my desktop color set to black.

Reaction score
Try settings - Colours.
Go down to "Show accent colours..etc
You can then choose a different one
But, just curiosity - Where does it say Type her to search""? Mine just says "Search Windows" Am I in the right area?

Reaction score
I prefer to save room on the Taskbar so I set Cortana to the icon only [right-click, Cortana, Show Cortana icon]. If I hover the mouse over the resultant white ring/circle I get the Type here to search balloon/popup.

Reaction score
Hmm. Curious. I often have it hidden altogether, but, for this thread, I chose only the icon. This is what I see:

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Just a ring! I have a magnifying glass. It doesn't concern me at all, as I don't use Cortana, but I have just got to investigate this!

OK. Found one small thing. If I pin Cortana from the start menu, which is not necessary of course, ten I get the ring. But still not the text.

Reaction score
Dave I think if you use Cortana the icon is a ring, if you have Cortana disabled as I do, you see a magnifying glass "Search Windows". I have the glass icon too and Cortana disabled.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hi! Usually I’m never one to complain whenever Microsoft makes changes or updates, Except, in Windows 10 last update (Dec) I’m not sure what is it called on the Task Bar where it says "Type here to search” is now white vs. previously being black/dark gray. Probably I invasion Microsoft made this changed based upon a consensus of suggestions. As far as my little research, the background color of where it says "Type here to search” on the Task Bar is irreversible. Granted, this may sound petty to some, but am I alone in feeling this way?

Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Nah....you're not alone in this.....as it did change. I noticed it right away but it doesn't bother me one way or the other.
What does bother me is that fact that the cortana thing has always been an "in your face" type of feature. One I really dislike. Yes...I know I have the option to disable and not show the search all together.

Reaction score
Bighorn Whatever you did must have reset it to the default setting. I've had the magnifying icon ever since day one of the Win 10 upgrade when I immediately disabled Cortana I have no use for it. I enjoy being in the drivers seat. For now anyway; wait 5 minutes, that may change. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Can't think of anything that would cause the change. I found half-a-dozen documents I wanted to save and after the downloads completed noticed the change. Its not a big problem as I like having more room on the Taskbar. Right-click of the Taskbar now does not show Cortana on the popup menu.

Reaction score
Well, I'm quite overwhelmed & extremely appreciated or so many members replying to my threaded & offering your welcomed suggestions. For one, personally I prefer having the search bar within my Task Bar vs. using Cortana (which I need to become more familiarize with this term. Funny thing is, I think I'm getting the term, "Cortana" with the word, "incognito." And two, after all of this i'm becoming accustomed to the change as has been discussed. I like to think it never hurts to hurt.

I've learned as being a big fan of Microsoft (unlike many others) & Windows 10 there will always be-forth updates & changes; hopefully many i will welcome & some I will need to become accustomed too

Again, to all,thanks & be well!

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. We seemed to have digressed (again) from your post. I guess the magnifying thing can go on hold - not very important.
Perhaps you could mark the thread as solved (At the top)

T_J

Reaction score
I have W10 v1709 ('windows update'd from W7) and don't have the magnifying icon or circle icon IN THE TASKBAR. I just right click on START then left click on SEARCH, and see the following. I think I turned Cortana OFF once but it may have turned itself ON (?), and don't use MS login. I may have deleted SEARCH icon in the taskbar ??? while I was busy turning W10 items OFF.
t7g4jt.jpg

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
This is how mine looks.....I have both.
1st attachment is with the circle and 2nd on is with the magnifying glass. It switches from circle to magnifying glass when I click on the search field.

search 1.PNG

search 2.PNG

On my system, it doesn't matter if I have cortana on or off...it's the same. Mine is a clean install from latest MCT ISO on 11/22/2017.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
djclntn10. Did you solve your problem?
There's no problem to solve....he was simply stating (his feeling) and commenting on his search field color due to the latest build upgrade. Which infact is what happened.

Then from post #5...the thread took on a whole new direction. It's amazing at what one little picture can do.....lol!

Ask a Question