Update after "Updates Disabled"

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Updates' started by BlacksmithTim, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BlacksmithTim

BlacksmithTim

Three times now updates have destroyed work in progress. Twice before MS Support claimed they had disabled updates and updates have still happened. I just lost a 5 page document in progress because I was stupid and took a dinner break. More stupid for trusting Win10.

Mixed answers from support over the last year.

It would be a hardship to shift away from Win10 but I've lost enough time and money now after thinking the problem was fixed that I have to seriously consider migrating from Win10 to a system that will not do that for work.

Does anyone know any way I can solidly verify that this system *will not update* without my permission?

My head says "Three strikes; they're out." But I would really like to simply be able to trust this OS.

BlacksmithTim, Sep 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. BlacksmithTim

BigFeet

BigFeet, Sep 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. BlacksmithTim

Tim Locke

Don't know what you use but Office has an automatic save which can be as often as every 5 minutes. And you can set the hours when the PC can reboot so that it will wait until midnight or later.

Tim Locke, Sep 19, 2018
  4. BlacksmithTim

davehc

I have never experienced an update spoiling work in progress. It normally should take a lower priority, and wait for input.
    I must admit that , having no problems, I allow updates to take place. There are several options available, such as when you wish to receive updates and when to allow a reboot.
    Sorry, no intent to be rude, but I would never leave a five page doc unattended.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    davehc, Sep 19, 2018
    BlacksmithTim and Tim Locke like this.
  5. BlacksmithTim

BlacksmithTim

Oh, I did save it. But left it open because I was just stepping away to a quick dinner. Apparently the update upset my word processor such that it wouldn't let me have the latest version of the doc without a "recovery" of some sort that I eventually figured out.

Auto-save is set to a fairly short interval and I have gotten sloppy because *when I run the same things with Ubuntu and a UPS random reboots do not happen*.

And it's not just the document. That's the obvious one. It's another Win10 update so I got to go through my system shifting all my settings back to what I want from what MS thinks they should be.

Headphones not recognized. Volume at a different level. Notifications use sound again. On and on.

It's an MS Update to Windows10: get you dead chicken and start praying.

And I've shut of or had updates shut off several times. I no longer trust the product.

Vista was more reliable in this regard.

BlacksmithTim, Sep 19, 2018
  6. BlacksmithTim

davehc

As commented on another forum. I must be one of the lucky ones. Four Laptops in the house, one Acer and three Dells. I have never interfered with the updates, and, to date, have never had a failure.
    The updates have, on occasion, altered a few of my settings back to default - not a mind shattering problem.

davehc, Sep 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question