SOLVED Driver Updates

Reaction score
I just performed a clean install of 1809.134 as I was annoyed with the CCleaner fly outs for "Black Friday" .
I had driver updates disabled on the former OS but I'll be darned if I can navigate to disable them again.
Any help would be appreciated, I don't want MS driver updates messing up my 10 year old PC.

Sorry I should have posted in the "Divers" Forum, maybe a mod can move the post.

Reaction score
you can do it via group policy editor as well:

Run gpedit.msc.
Goto "Administrative Templates/Windows components/Windows Update"
look for [Do Not Include Drivers With Windows Updates] and set it to "enabled".
close everything again and restart.
This has always worked for me

Reaction score
Lol. I had to check to see if I had done that after I did a fresh install a few months back. I did. I couldn't remember doing it.

Reaction score
Quite possibly related; I am having problems with WiFi on my laptop after a recent update, I am not sure but it might also be something to do with moving my router around after moving the flat around a bit?. I will try it a few times and do a system restore if it still happens!. Good to know that I can defer updates if needed!. :):):)

Reaction score
The link you found yourself, Norton, included the GP
But I see you are using the Pro edition? (No Gpedit in Home)

But, the path you were seeking, possibly.
Settings - Devices - Scroll down to Devices and printers.
Right click your computer and, in the drop down menu you will see
"Device installation settings. It is in there.

The facility, if it is working, is also still available through the Control Panel. Same path though, in the end.
From the options displayed, choose System
A new window will pop-up. Choose Advanced System Settings from the menu on your left.
The system properties window will pop-up. Open the Hardware tab.
There you have the option to stop driver downloads (if it works!)
However, I have mine open, but it still failed to download some useful intel driver updates

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used gpedit to make the changes after lean clean install. This install I only installed the software programs I use regularly from my flash drive downloads. Saved 13 GB. :) and CCleaner wasn't invited, AVG have ruined what Piriform created.:(
I'll just rely on the native Windows Storage, and disk clean, to clean up temp files.

Ask a Question