Driver/OS updates not installing?

Reaction score
I upgraded to windows 10 a day or so after it was released and now when I go to plug in my laptop to tv via hdmi or when I plug in an old xbox360 wired controller it keeps telling me that it found the updates for the drivers but encountered an error while attempting to install them. It doesn't give me an error code for this. Also when I check the updated center is says it could not install updates and gives me an error: Error 0x8000ffff. Any help would be appreciated

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What kind of laptop is it?
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete number).
Have you checked with the manufacturer's website to confirm that you are running all the latest drivers (BIOS, Chipset, Video, Sound, Network Adapters, etc.,).

Reaction score
What kind of laptop is it?
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete number).
Have you checked with the manufacturer's website to confirm that you are running all the latest drivers (BIOS, Chipset, Video, Sound, Network Adapters, etc.,).
It's a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 serries (2-in-1). I'm assuming I'm runing the latest drivers other than the ones that arent worrking because those ones say they found an update, but there was an error trying to install them. my windows update is having the same issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should probably go to Dell support and plug in your service tag number and download and install the latest they have in the way of drivers, especiall Chipset drivers. In some cases drivers can seem to get messed up or otherwise corrupted after and upgrade and it shouldn't hurt anything to re-install them
AND
Don't forget to check and see if there is a BIOS update as well, sometimes a firmware update can help get the ball rolling.

Reaction score
You should probably go to Dell support and plug in your service tag number and download and install the latest they have in the way of drivers, especiall Chipset drivers. In some cases drivers can seem to get messed up or otherwise corrupted after and upgrade and it shouldn't hurt anything to re-install them
AND
Don't forget to check and see if there is a BIOS update as well, sometimes a firmware update can help get the ball rolling.
It tried to update a few pre-installed drivers like the BIOS, however even that failed and it said it had an issue updating the drivers. these are the ones:

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) Driver

Intel Chipset Driver

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Intel PROSet/Wireless 7265 WLAN Driver

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

Reaction score
I suspect you might have to be THE administrator to update those, especially the chipset driver. The command for doing this is in a tutorial on the forum.

Reaction score
I suspect you might have to be THE administrator to update those, especially the chipset driver. The command for doing this is in a tutorial on the forum.
Last I checked I had administrative privleges. Is it just windows 10 being stupid?

Reaction score

Ask a Question