Want No Password

Reaction score
I used the "netplwiz" method to have my computer boot-up without having to use a password each time. It worked well.
I then tried to do the same on my wife's computer, but I stupidly entered an incorrect user name. Now I'm stuck with this incorrect user name and we still have to use her password to boot up. The incorrect user name does not appear in the users file in the Control Panel. How can I get back to using her computer with the proper name so I can use the procedure to get rid of the password requirement? Should I reload Win 10?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically when using netplwiz or Control Userpasswords2.....
You do not input a "user name" you select it from the initial page and then click apply which produces a second dialog box where that user is already present and you simply input the password twice.
Was you experience different?
Have you attempted redoing the process?
Have you somehow renamed the user account?
Is this 10 pro or 10 home?

Reaction score
I used the "netplwiz" method to have my computer boot-up without having to use a password each time. It worked well.
I then tried to do the same on my wife's computer, but I stupidly entered an incorrect user name. Now I'm stuck with this incorrect user name and we still have to use her password to boot up. The incorrect user name does not appear in the users file in the Control Panel. How can I get back to using her computer with the proper name so I can use the procedure to get rid of the password requirement? Should I reload Win 10?

Do not reload 10, this is an easy fix. follow Trouble's instructions and select the users instead of typing it in
Hold the windows key hit R. type in netplwiz in the RUN box and hit ENTER. in the box click USERS and click the one you added to delete it. click remove. Now click the one you want to log in to automatically. Uncheck the box that says User must enter password................ and confirm by entering the password. Now you should be able to just go straight in to windows.
If at any time you find you have to log in, reverse the process and then do it again. this happened to me once after an big update.

Reaction score
Do not reload 10, this is an easy fix. follow Trouble's instructions and select the users instead of typing it in
Hold the windows key hit R. type in netplwiz in the RUN box and hit ENTER. in the box click USERS and click the one you added to delete it. click remove. Now click the one you want to log in to automatically. Uncheck the box that says User must enter password................ and confirm by entering the password. Now you should be able to just go straight in to windows.
If at any time you find you have to log in, reverse the process and then do it again. this happened to me once after an big update.
The incorrect name does not appear in the USERS box. The only place you see it is in the WELCOME screen when you boot the machine. There doesn't appear to be a P/W for this name because I've tried all possible P/Ws'. The only name in the USERS box is her proper user name. So...on the welcome screen, her proper name in in the lower left. Click on that and it comes up in the center of the WELCOME screen. You type in the P/W and the machine goes to the desktop screen. Normal from here on.

Reaction score
The incorrect name does not appear in the USERS box. The only place you see it is in the WELCOME screen when you boot the machine. There doesn't appear to be a P/W for this name because I've tried all possible P/Ws'. The only name in the USERS box is her proper user name. So...on the welcome screen, her proper name in in the lower left. Click on that and it comes up in the center of the WELCOME screen. You type in the P/W and the machine goes to the desktop screen. Normal from here on.

Reaction score
From an aministrator account:
Click the windows icon in the lower left, click settings and then user accounts and look for it there under Family and other users.
You could also go to the Control Panel, click on User Accounts and then click manage another account.

Reaction score
Walldoo99...The name that appears on the welcome screen, in the center, where it asks for a P/W, is nowhere in the users file. I've looked everywhere to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if I should reload Win10.

Ask a Question