webGL nuisance

Reaction score
All of a sudden I'm getting webGL error messages below my Chrome browser bar. I don't think I downloaded anything that contained this but there was a major W10 update about the same time it started. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this?
Using HP G72 i3 2.40 Ghz W10 Home ver 1703 OS Build 15063.540 4 G Ram 64-bit x64 processor.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi rhp2,

Welcome to the Forum.

It'd help to know the precise error message you are getting, but in the mean time there are four settings you ought to verify are correct in your Chrome browser, as if they are incorrect, webGL will not be available on sites using it.

Setting 1
  • In your Chrome browsers address bar type chrome://settings then press Enter key
chrome1.png
  • Scroll to bottom of Settings page and click on Advanced
  • Now scroll to bottom of Advanced settings and check the System pane to ensure that Use hardware acceleration when available is enabled (i.e. toggled on)
chrome2.png

Setting 2
  • In your Chrome browsers address bar type chrome://flags then press Enter key
chrome3.png
  • On the flags page the first entry is called Override software rendering list. If you see Enable then you need to click on Enable
chrome4.png

Setting 3
  • While still on the flags page press Ctrl + F keys together to open the find dialog.
  • Type webGL into the find dialog. That will immediately take you to WebGL Draft Extensions.
  • Check whether you can see Enable here. If you can you need to click it
chrome5.png

Setting 4
  • While still on the flags page press click the down arrow in the Find dialog until it takes you to WebGL 2.0
  • There is a Dialog here with a drop arrow. If the dialog is displaying either Default or Disabled then click the drop arrow and select Enabled
chrome6.png

If you needed to adjust any of the four settings, close the Chrome browser then re-open Chrome for new settings to take hold.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question