What is 'Other' partition on my hard drive?

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to copy a 4Tb hard drive to a new 8Tb hard drive (using Easeus 11.5 Clone option) but when I look at my drive list, it seems to have 3 partitions:
- 3.64Tb which is the content area (NTFS)
- 15.98Mb called 'Other' which is completely full
- 1.29Mb called 'Unallocated'

I have no idea what 'Other' and 'Unallocated' are. Are they even partitions? I'm guessing they're something that the drive or Windows creates for control purposes - should I also copy them to the new drive when I clone, or should I simply ignore them and the new drive will create it's own version?

Thanks.

(using Windows 10 - screenshot attached)

Attachments

• Drive Screenshot 2023-06-03 115518.jpg
    Drive Screenshot 2023-06-03 115518.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Based on the work I've done with HDDs I'd wonder where the drive came from. The (Other) suggests a different type of formatting from NTFS and the size is quite small in terms of Windows use of the last several years. My first computer in '92 came with a 120MB drive and only one partition on it. Current Windows can have 3 to 5 partitions on a drive. My current Win11 Notebook:
1685795928294.png

If the 4TB is used for storage [not the Boot/System] partition I'd just copy it to the new drive.

Windows' File Explorer won't show a partition if it is not formatted [FAT32, NTFS or exFAT] and then have a drive letter assigned in Disk Management. File Explorer also can't work with different-formatted drives such as the defaults from Linux or Mac OS X.

Reaction score
The first thing to do is go to the start button, right click on it and select disk management. Don't go through the cloning software for this, you want to know what Windows calls it. Try to get a screenshot of everything in the window that opens up. As it is we can only see about half of the information. Then post that screenshot to get more accurate advice. If you don't want to wait, just clone that entire drive, don't leave something out just because you don't know what it is, that could become just an expensive bookend.

Reaction score
All I see is Drive D: and Drive E: are single NTFS partitions, no issue shown. Disk 0 or C: appears to be a normal/default setup, I'd leave it alone if Windows is working correctly. The other two disks are numbered differently from the drive letter because of the SATA port on the motherboard used, if OCD one could change that by changing the cables around but again, leave Disk 0 alone.

Reaction score
Much better. Just let your program clone the drive as is. If there are no issues on the old drive it won't suddenly introduce any on the new drive.

Ask a Question