Tried to change the format of a partition

Reaction score
Hi, I did something very, very stupid :( (I really know now, so more rubbing in, is not necessary)
I was boared and was playing around in Windows 10- 64 bit and noticed all my partions were shown as NTFS, except for one: the Z-partion, this showed FAT32.
By right-clicking, I saw there was no tab making a conversion possible. Now I remembered the old DOS command "convert" and used this.
As a result I created 'chaos' as my laptop is no longer able to startup again....... I took the SSD out and see this, by means of my desktop computer, as shown in attached file.
I wonder whether there is an escape possible from this mess and to bring it back to a proper working SSD again??

Attachments

• Geen toegang tot netwerk.JPG
    Geen toegang tot netwerk.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Being able to see a drive in another computer will allow saving data files, those that exist nowhere else. Then with the drive back in the computer boot to install media and start over, let the partitions be wiped and do a clean install.

Reaction score
Hi, thank you very much for your response back.
I copied all my data files on my desktop computer and built my brandnew SSD into the laptop.
I downloaded the Windows Media CreationTool on my USB-stick (FAT32) and 'fired up' the laptop with this USB in it.
The Windows installation screen popped up, I choose the W10 Pro version, skipped the entry of the OEM-code (I am to buy a new W10- Pro OEM version, as I don't know the details of the lost Windows on my previous SSD).
The new SSD was formatted and now shows a restricted area (for Windows only) and a free area. So far so good. But then it asked for start-up files.... ??? which seem not to be present on my USB-stick???
What to do now?

Reaction score
The booting files exist on a bootable drive like the USB or DVD but just booting to it doesn't transfer those files to the internal drive, that's up to the install routine. Sounds like yours didn't complete properly, may be best to try again.

As for the OEM version, it may be easier to get a System Builder version. By definition the OEM versions are for manufacturers and the System Builder is for the custom shops and the licenses were cheaper as Microsoft didn't always have to support the install and first several months of use. I haven't purchased a Retail or Upgrade version yet, mostly did the free upgrades to Win10 and Win11 or bought last 3 new computers with Windows already installed. For years the OEM versions have been branded and worked only on computers for that brand, i.e. Dell wouldn't install on Gateway, HP wouldn't install on eMachines, etc.

Reaction score
I did make another bootable USB, however the same result :(.
So I decided just to completely erase this SSD and started installing from scratch again. A lot of work, but in the end it worked out.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out, sometimes the best solution is to start over.

Ask a Question