BSOD tried so many things not sure what to do anymore.

Reaction score
I was opening chrome and my screen went half yellow and shifted around in spots then my pc restarted & I was able to log in, but 5 minutes later it crashed and restarted again, this time giving me a bsod.
I can still enter safety mode and all the win(RE) tabs/options, I've tried resetting + keep files, I've tried sfc and DISM in safety mode and winRE command prompt neither can fix the problems they find because of windows recource protection (I've also tried with trustedinstaller running with the same outcome)
I have 1 automatic restore point from the day this happened but the restore is unsuccessful every time.
I've tried more options but I don't want this tread to be a book, my only thought now is since I have a second drive can I transfer everything over (in case my backups are corrupt) to my hdd then wipe my ssd reformat, partition, and reinstall windows to fix it, then transfer my files back?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my only thought now is since I have a second drive can I transfer everything over (in case my backups are corrupt) to my hdd then wipe my ssd reformat, partition, and reinstall windows to fix it, then transfer my files back?
Sounds like a plan to me.....
Assuming of course that your crashing is not being produced by some type of physical hardware issue.
Based on what you have said -> that you can boot into Safe Mode, then I would suspect a hardware driver issue or a software package that is attempting to behave like hardware.
Since Safe Mode only loads minimal generic drivers and doesn't load most third party startup items which often include a service, process and or driver.
AND
Since you seem to have exhausted most other reasonable fixes, a custom clean install is likely your best current option.

Just minimize your system by disconnecting any peripherals, eliminate wireless dongles and use only a wired USB keyboard, wired USB mouse and a single monitor.

Get the OS reinstalled and fully updated before adding back any peripherals or third party software packages.
I'd give it a full day or so with just the OS to give it some opportunity to misbehave again.

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me.....
Assuming of course that your crashing is not being produced by some type of physical hardware issue.
Based on what you have said -> that you can boot into Safe Mode, then I would suspect a hardware driver issue or a software package that is attempting to behave like hardware.
Since Safe Mode only loads minimal generic drivers and doesn't load most third party startup items which often include a service, process and or driver.
AND
Since you seem to have exhausted most other reasonable fixes, a custom clean install is likely your best current option.

Just minimize your system by disconnecting any peripherals, eliminate wireless dongles and use only a wired USB keyboard, wired USB mouse and a single monitor.

Get the OS reinstalled and fully updated before adding back any peripherals or third party software packages.
I'd give it a full day or so with just the OS to give it some opportunity to misbehave again.
I am out of options I cant even reset my pc it just says there was a problem resetting and shows a back button that just takes me to the troubleshoot options of windowsRE I dont know what to do. I'm so sick of of trying all this crap I cant even make a bootable usb with windows media creation tool it just fails. There has to be some sort of hidden malware or severe damage I'm not aware of but if anyone things of something that might work I'm all ears. I just built this pc a little over a year ago and spent over $1,200 after everything was all said and done, I really don't want to spend more.

Reaction score
You're going to have to start troubleshooting hardware. Like Trouble said, start with the bare minimum. Eliminate everything but the boot drive (including the graphics card and any other peripherals). If you have a spare hdd, try installing the OS from scratch on that without activating it, just for testing purposes, with nothing else connected to the PC. It's almost certainly a hardware issue, and my gut feeling is it may be your graphics card. If everything functions normally, add in one peripheral at a time, until you come up with the offender. If everything goes well, put the original hdd back and see what happens. If it's still giving you issues, it's either the motherboard, psu, or cpu. The psu is easy to test if you have a spare. CPU's rarely go bad unless they are pushed beyond their limits.

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble & Bigfeet, I eliminated all peripherals except my RAM, the cause of the crash was an Nvidia audio driver and the boot loop that caused me to no longer be able to access safe mode was my limited command knowledge and desperation to try every solution which lead me to run a Regback.
In the end I just created a bootable thumb drive, disconnected my HDD, used the SystemRE cmd to clear my SSD, re-downloaded windows with my product key (which took forever to find sifting through old emails), booted to safe mode, uninstalled the audio driver then just tested everything and ran a few system scans just to be safe, now everything is in tip-top shape. I reconnected my HDD which still has all my files and info all safe but decided to leave my GPU out and put some money aside to upgrade in another month or so, i was running an EVGA Geforce gtx 570 HD which is a turd now, I plan on going moderately overboard with a 970 or 1070 maybe watercooled if Its worth the hassle.

Ask a Question