Windows BSOD IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal

Reaction score
Hello,
This is driving me crazy, I have a windows machine that I built myself about 2 years ago. (probably the 10th I have built) I have been having this problem for the last 2-3 weeks when my machine will BSOD on me after I have been playing Youtube videos for a while.
It is entirely random and doesn't happen all of the time but when it does the video will freeze and I will hear this rrrrrrrrr noise at the point where the sound stopped.
Then I get the IRQL NOT LESS OR Equal error blue screen of death.
Here are a few things to know.
I have always updated my Windows 10 to the latest version as prompted by my Windows 10 software.
This machine has plenty of free hd space, 32 gb of RAM, is adequately cooled( almost never goes over 22c when idling and never over 45-50 when gaming.
I have run the windows memory dignostic tool (32GB) and it says there are no problems.
I have scanned for the latest viruses (Avast) and the latest Malware (Malware bytes ) but they come up negative.
I have also changed my video drivers - updating them to newer and even going back over the last 5-7 drivers to see if it could have been an issue there. Nothing seems to work.
I game with some newer games (Battlefield 1, GTA V , FarCry 5, Sniper Elite 4) all run at Max settings (32inch 4K monitor) and my Video card (GTX 1080) doesn't seem to have an issues. My machine has never blue screened nor shut down while gaming.
I have checked devices to see if there are any issues and they all seem fine.
Also I have not installed any new programs of note that I can think of only doing my usual and the problem only occurs on Youtube videos (streamed ). I have a Plex movie server which I have been running for years which this machine streams from and there are no problems running any of those files.
I cannot figure this out. Is there somewhere that Windows dumps to my harddrive where I can get some information? it is always the same message (above) IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

Any help would be appreciated. I searched for this problem but did not see any matches.

Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there somewhere that Windows dumps to my harddrive where I can get some information?
Yes, but....
You need to determine how your machine is currently configured. That will determine where the .dmp files are located.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Down near the bottom, if....
You have selected "Small memory dump" (my usual choice) the dump files will be located in the C:\Windows\minidump folder. They'll be relatively small will date and time as part of their name and have a .dmp extension.
IF you have selected "Kernel memory dump" the only dump file you will have will be located at C:\Windows and it will be pretty big and be called memory.dmp

Reaction score
What brand and wattage is your power supply? If the PSU is not up to par then you could be experiencing the problems that you are. Also download Memtest 86+ and run it with one stick of memory at a time in your computer. That will rule out a memory problem. Are you overclocking your system at all?

Reaction score
No overclock and my power supply is Corsair 1000X way more than enough power. I just got some time and will have to look for the dump files tonight. Thank you for the reply. I got back home last night an my machine had rebooted again. smh. Frustrating.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you want.....
Put the .dmp files into a folder, zip it up and attach it to your next post.
Maybe we can have a look and see if anything jumps out.

Reaction score
IF you want.....
Put the .dmp files into a folder, zip it up and attach it to your next post.
Maybe we can have a look and see if anything jumps out.
I appreciate it. Apparently my system was setup to constantly replace each file so I had to change that setting and copied the file to another drive.
The problem is is that it is huge. It is over a gigabyte. I am currently looking into how to tran and reduce it down to a sendable size. I have 7zip and I am trying to use Ultra reduction to see where that takes me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
if....
You have selected "Small memory dump" (my usual choice)
You can switch back and forth any time and as many times as you like.
The idea is to get something we can all see and perhaps take a look at.
Often the small dump will provide what you need to know, although occasionally it will take a full kernel dump to expose the culprit.
Generally they are just text files and will usually compress pretty well, by just placing it into a folder and using the native (send to) compress command under the right click menu.

Reaction score
You say you are running the latest version of Malwarebytes. Are you running the paid version and running it all the time? Or are you using the free version and using it as an on demand scanner? The reason I ask is I am a member of the MB forums. There is an issue with the paid version where the Web Protection if turned on is causing systems to blue screen. Others will lock up. MB had a problem with the Ransonware Protection causing issues. Apparently that is fixed now but Web Protection is now causing issues on some systems. Turning Web Protection off has solved the issue. Of course we shouldn't have to disable parts of software that we have paid for. But it solves the issue for now. If you are using the free version as an on demand scanner then this doesn't apply. I have the paid version of MB but only use it as an on demand scanner now due to the issues it causes with my system.

Ask a Question