windows 10 cannot change display language! tried everything!

Reaction score
So my laptop was purchased in China which came with authentic windows 8.1. I recently upgraded to windows 10 through official pop up notification. However after trying all means I couldn't alter the display language.

In the settings-region and language-language-add a language
I am able to add any language in here but when I click options in one of the added language, there's no option of "download language pack" as many tutorials on internet.
I have tried under English (United Kingdom) "set language as primary" but after restart, nothing's changed . Still display Chinese.

In control panel-add a language-options-windows display language
Again there's no option of setting a new language as display language, it says under windows display language "not available in this version of Windows" (something like this, I did the translation).

I can add or change input keyboard without problem.

The version of windows currently in my laptop is "Windows 10 Home Chinese Version" (something like this, again I did the translation). Is this the reason I can't change display language? Someone please help?

Reaction score
The version of windows currently in my laptop is "Windows 10 Home Chinese Version" (something like this, again I did the translation). Is this the reason I can't change display language?

No. I truly don't think that is the reason because I have a Win 10 Home English version and I am able to add Chinese Traditional, and I get the "Language pack available " message, and I can download it.

I don't have a solution for you, unfortunately.

adding : I am in Canada, and I bought this laptop in Canada. Began as Win 7 Home Premium, Upgraded it to Windows 10 Home.

Reaction score
You are not in China now, are you ?
What country are you at now ? UK ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
First of all you need the Windows 10 Pro version to be able to change from a base Chinese to make it a base English language system, otherwise you will have these problems. Or, you can buy a new version in the English Windows 10 and key and activate that way. But and if you are registered with a digital licence then you could reinstall the English version of Windows 10 and see if your Chinese windows key for the windows English version activates and works, I can't see why it won't.

These are a few guides of how to change languages:

Guide 1
Go to this link also if you want a more detailed guide: https://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/

Guide 2
  1. Select the Start Windows logo Start button, then Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Time & Language > Language.
  2. Select Language then if you don't have your desired language click on the + 'Add language'
  3. After your preferred language is downloaded then
  4. Choose the language you want to use from the list and then select Next.
  5. Review any language features you want to set or install, and select Install.
  6. Note: To switch the input language you're using in Windows 10, select the language abbreviation on the far right of the taskbar, and then select the language or input method you want to use. You can also press and hold the Windows logo key Windows logo Start button and then repeatedly press the Spacebar to cycle through all your languages.

Last edited:

Ask a Question