Windows 10 preview 17686 cannot change default browser

Reaction score
The latest windows insider ver 17868 has made it impossible to change the default browser Edge to another one of choice {Chrome} any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope same problem here.
When I go through the normal steps and click "change it anyway" the settings window crashes and that's the end of that.
Can't even change to Internet Explorer which is the only browser I have installed at this time.

I'm assuming that it's just one of many bugs that are present in this build and will be addressed in a future flight.

Reaction score
Could a poster clarify this for me (Trouble?). I presume windows 19 is meant to be Windows 10
What number is the update? 17686 or 17868? I haven't yet been offered by either number, but we are always late with updates here.

OK. Forget it. I have just browsed and see it is an insider release. If I am correct, perhaps you could transfer this thread?

Reaction score
Tks for transferring to the insider, Ian. I'm easily confused these days!

Reaction score
This was a challenge. I ended up with a small powershell script setting the http and https url associations to ChromeHTML. Clicking a link in Outlook opens a window to set the default browser, where I could choose Google Chrome and his seems to hold.

I understand Microsoft thinks about giving up on browser development since they lost the browser war. Why still push Edge? Edge on Android was too early. First fix bookmark manager etc. Do it for your users, not for profits, ....

Reaction score
IP Version 1803 Build 17692.1000 is the latest I have and it also doesn't not accept setting a different browser in Default Apps.

Ask a Question