SOLVED Cannot play DVD film after last windows update!!

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I am trying to help a friend that has encountered error message 0x87E10BK6 after last big up date from Windows when trying to play a DVD film..
I am failing and need any support in this matter.
Have installed third party player to find solution but DVD will not work. He can play any music cd, watch his own made videos but not a regular DVD film.
Any support in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Michael

Reaction score
It might be a region issue with the DVD. Is there a setting in the program you downloaded to change the region to the proper one that you are in? I'm not sure which program you downloaded since you didn't say so. But you can also try VLC or Pot Player. I use Pot Player and love it. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

as @ram1220 points out, using VLC should solve the problem, Windows doesn't normally have a DVD playback codec installed due to copyright reasons in various countries, using VLC should solve that problem as it uses codecs to enable DVD playback!. :):):)

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

as @ram1220 points out, using VLC should solve the problem, Windows doesn't normally have a DVD playback codec installed due to copyright reasons in various countries, using VLC should solve that problem as it uses codecs to enable DVD playback!. :):):)

Wolfie and ram1220
Thank you for advise.
I did install the VLC but that did not solve the problem.
However as I did install via Teamviewer I may have to go and visit my friend and see If I can find out why we are failing.
As i did install the Swedish version then I must get the proper region setting I think.
Any further advise will be apreciated.:)
Regards
Michael

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

remove VLC from your apps list (un-install it) and go to their own site and download it from there, don't use a 3rd party app to install such software as it isn't necessary!:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html :):):)

Thank you Wolfie.
Today I have tried your instructions at the machine.
But VLC does not work when it comes to DVD.
Music CD workes fine but here Media Player takes over and plays the disc, not VLC by automatic.
When using VLC for DVD I can see that VLC does find the disk and also tells us the track to play. But when I order play VLC dies....
Have tried several times to uninstall and delete all settings and chache but no luck at all.
My friend is frustrated so am I :(:(
Whan can one do futher in this???
Regards
Michael

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

open Settings > Apps > Default apps > Video player > left click it and Choose an application, then select VLC as default for playing vids!. :):):)
upload_2018-10-31_6-51-27.png

upload_2018-10-31_6-55-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-31_6-55-7.png
    upload_2018-10-31_6-55-7.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 436
Reaction score
I am not a great fan of playing videos on a computer. Prefer my HiFi. But, without configuration (just tried it) I can play quite an assortment of fílms on VLC.

Reaction score
I am not a great fan of playing videos on a computer. Prefer my HiFi. But, without configuration (just tried it) I can play quite an assortment of fílms on VLC.
Davehc
I can do this on my desctop too.. But I am trying to be helpful to a friend. Not doing too well am I.

Reaction score
Are you sure that your friend does have a DVD player and not just a CD-ROM drive????. ;););)

Reaction score
Are you sure that your friend does have a DVD player and not just a CD-ROM drive????. ;););)

Before the last big update from Microsoft e few weeks ago he had no problems playing DVD films :(:(. Optiarc DVD RW AD-7201 s - ATA Device
Michael

Reaction score
Was your friend playing, previously, without any third party programs?

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

open Control Panel > Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives left click and remove (un-install) the device then restart the PC, it will find it again and re-install the drivers for the device. :):):)

upload_2018-11-1_7-1-9.png

Reaction score
Also, does your friend have a CD cleaner disk?, that might help too?. ;););)

Reaction score
I have done a little googling. It seems your friend is not alone, and not much help from MS.

Best advice I read was to download the old drivers, which are classed as being compatible with windows 10, and install them in Windows 8 compatibility mode - as an Administrator.

See here

http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/driver/detail.asp?driver=Optiarc~DVD~RW~AD-7201S~ATA~Device.html

davehc.
Thank you for not giving up....
First I have posted wrong hardware. His is a TSSTcorp CD DVD W SH S233c
But then could You give me more in detail how to "install them in Windows 8 compability mode- as an Admin".
Not sure I know how to do this.
I did test to set VLC in win 8 compability, rebooted, but no change from that action.
If I had this problem on my machine I would try to do a clean fresh install of win 10. But hesitate doing this on his machine :).
Regards
Michael

Ask a Question