When re-installing windows all i get isa purple screen with a curser.

Reaction score
Hi,

you said you can boot into Linux, is that still the case and have you installed Linux or are you just using a "Live CD" in test mode?.

Have you made sure that the SATA cables to your hard drive (HDD or SSD) are all okay?.

Did you try installing Windows again in the meantime if you said that the GPU is now seated correctly?.

When answering, give exact details of what you have tried and what you are doing please!. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
However the thing that stops me is that I can use linux okay
That's nice, but it's not apples to apples. The two Operating Systems do not use system resources the same and possibly just if not more importantly system hardware drivers are remarkably different.
Your problem may be a hardware issue, but...
It may be more nuanced than a simple seating issue. It could be related to memory onboard the GPU.
Perhaps, attempting an install without the add-in GPU might further the diagnostic process.

Twice in this thread the system BIOS has been mentioned.
Are you using the latest BIOS available through the manufacturer currently.
I couldn't help but notice that a casual scan of BIOS updates for what I presume is your board mentions PCIe devices.
There appears to be a recent Chipset driver update as well.

Reaction score
Hi,

you said you can boot into Linux, is that still the case and have you installed Linux or are you just using a "Live CD" in test mode?.

Have you made sure that the SATA cables to your hard drive (HDD or SSD) are all okay?.

Did you try installing Windows again in the meantime if you said that the GPU is now seated correctly?.

When answering, give exact details of what you have tried and what you are doing please!. ;)
Hello, yes it is installed on my sata hdd. I have checked my cables to ensure they are connected properly. Yes i have tried installing windows 10 using the media creation tool on l windows laptop that i have been able to borrow. But that has come to the same provblem of the purple screen. Yes ... sorry

Reaction score
That's nice, but it's not apples to apples. The two Operating Systems do not use system resources the same and possibly just if not more importantly system hardware drivers are remarkably different.
Your problem may be a hardware issue, but...
It may be more nuanced than a simple seating issue. It could be related to memory onboard the GPU.
Perhaps, attempting an install without the add-in GPU might further the diagnostic process.

Twice in this thread the system BIOS has been mentioned.
Are you using the latest BIOS available through the manufacturer currently.
I couldn't help but notice that a casual scan of BIOS updates for what I presume is your board mentions PCIe devices.
There appears to be a recent Chipset driver update as well.
Hello. Okay thank you for that i will try this. how do i install the software if i cant access my computer?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Also....I see that you have a APU. Do you have the onboard GPU (the one on the CPU) turned off in the BIOS?

Reaction score
I just took out my gpu and still get the same problems.
It sounds like there is a problem with the cable if it is happening with both the dedicated GPU and onboard GPU (APU)?.

For your BIOS install, see the following link.

MSI® HOW-TO use M-FLASH for single BIOS - YouTube

Linux is installed you said, are you still getting the purple screen with Linux or only after you try to install Windows 10?. It may be a corrupted version of Windows 10 on the USB stick?, try downloading a new copy and see if that is okay!. ;)

Reaction score
It sounds like there is a problem with the cable if it is happening with both the dedicated GPU and onboard GPU (APU)?.

For your BIOS install, see the following link.

MSI® HOW-TO use M-FLASH for single BIOS - YouTube

Linux is installed you said, are you still getting the purple screen with Linux or only after you try to install Windows 10?. It may be a corrupted version of Windows 10 on the USB stick?, try downloading a new copy and see if that is okay!. ;)
Hello, thanks for the link . No i do not get purple screen with linux, the purple screen is only to do with windows and i have a curser on the screen.

TO BE CLEAR: The purple screen is when i plug the usb in. I get the windows logo (like a normal install) then it switches to a purple screen.

WINDOWS WITHOUT USB, it loads like normal but it will EITHER, stay on the windows logo with circle of dots and not change from that OR it will say recovering something (or along those lines) and move to a black screen with a curser.

Again the black screen is different to the installation process. The photo attached is what happens when i plug the usb in.

yes i have tried re-downloading it without success could it be the usb stick?
Sorry for confusion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 105
Reaction score
That has muddied the situation a little!
So, you have Windows installed on a USB, and that is where the problem exists??

Reaction score
I
That has muddied the situation a little!
So, you have Windows installed on a USB, and that is where the problem exists??
I know (bad at explaining) okay, so ... i have windows installed on a USB yes that is. I was saying the reasons behind the re-installation.

Sorry, does this make sense? please ask more questions if needed thanks

Reaction score
Sounds very much like it is either the USB stick or the USB port controller which is/are faulty?. Do you have a different USB?.

If you boot into Linux and insert the USB stick, do you still get a purple screen?. ;)

Reaction score
Sounds very much like it is either the USB stick or the USB port controller which is/are faulty?. Do you have a different USB?.

If you boot into Linux and insert the USB stick, do you still get a purple screen?. ;)
Hello! Okay i will get my hands on another usb and test it out. No i dont get the purple screen when i insert it during linux. Only when i boot from the usb.

Reaction score

Hello! Okay i will get my hands on another usb and test it out. No i dont get the purple screen when i insert it during linux. Only when i boot from the usb.

The attached photos are what happens when i boot from the usb.

Reaction score
Okay... i have tried using another usb and i get the same bloody problem. Any ideas ? Does anyone reckon its the gpu? Because i dont think it is. I will take any suggestions because at the moment I have no idea what else it could be

Reaction score
Hi,

I would power down your PC and remove the GPU. Once that is done, also remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for about a minute and then replace it. Plug your monitor cable into the onboard APU socket of your Ryzen 5 3400G and use the onboard graphics.

You will have to go back into BIOS to reset the time and date and you can check that the CPU/APU is okay and then reboot and first test Linux and make sure it is still okay. Then reboot with the USB stick inserted, if you still get the purple screen, it is most likely the USB port and not the stick or GPU?. ;)

Also update your BIOS a USB stick directly in BIOS!. :)

1608555456628.png

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Not to sound rude or offensive; but it looks and sounds like you don't know how to create a bootable media device. It also sounds like you don't know how to update the BIOS. Again, no offense is meant.

So I would recommend watching some youtube videos on both subject matters and see if you can accomplish your tasks or take it to a friend that is IT savvy and let them do it or take it to a shop and have it "professionally" done.

Ask a Question