Why can't I copy to clipboard?

Reaction score
Recently, my clipboard has become dysfunctional. I can't copy to it more than once without hitting the Esc key. Was a time I could cut & past in any office 2013 application to my heart's content.

When I open, say, Excel & try to copy, it tells me the clipboard is locked. After I hit the Esc key, I can copy once, then a second try tells me the clipboard is unavailable & could be used by another application.

Has a W10 update changed the ballgame?

Reaction score
I don't believe the Windows 10 update has changed the copy paste features. I have no problem with word, XL, Word Pad... You say "Recently my clipboard has become dysfunctional"
Have you attempted to do a system restore point to before the recent problem emerged. It sounds like you may have a clipboard cache issue.

Run run CCleaner that will clear the clipboard cache, make sure you have "clipboard check marked for CCleaner to clean. If that fails then Google "Create desktop shortcut "clear clipboard cache".

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, I did what you suggested & created a cleaner - several cleaners actually - & have done so weekly since your post & none of the suggestions under that google search work, except one, which does it for one iteration. Frankly, I can do it quicker hitting the Esc key. I didn't go to a system restore point, I admit. because by the time you had made that suggestion, what with Windows & driver updates, the opportunity was long gone.

BTW, I can copy from an Office external source to Office ad lib without issues, for example, from my on line bank to my budget spreadsheet.

Also, for clarification, the shortcut that works will run any number of iterations but will come up with a clipboard full error if I reverse a transaction. (C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c “echo off | clip”)

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, I'm still in doo doos. Firstly, it's only Excel with this issue. I can copy from any other source (other Office products or an internet page) to Excel or among themselves. It's only within Excel that I have this issue. Secondly, magic incantation I tabulated in my previous post above has stopped working unless I execute it twice after I open Excel.

Then again, there was another Microsoft upgrade the night before last.

Reaction score
When you highlight a cell in Excel, do you get the dotted lines around it. If not, is the document in editing mode? What I mean is if you got the file from an export or someone else, it's locked for editing. You should see the top yellow bar to enable editing.

Once editing is enabled you should be able to copy and paste in Excel

Reaction score
No, it's not that. Same same happens if I create a totally new worksheet, type in a cell & copy it. Works once, sometimes twice, then it tells me the old story again. Hit the Esc key & I'm in business again. Hit the magic incantation on my tool bar (sounding more & more apt, that name) & she's sweet until the next time it decides to hate me.

Ask a Question