WiFi Extender

Reaction score
I have Linksys WRT3200ACM router at one end of my house....

At the other end of the house the WiFi is weak enough to be almost unusable....
It's about 50' and 5 walls for the signal to go thru....

I want to extend my WiFi signal this way.....

1. Ethernet from the Linksys main router to the other end of house....
This cable is already in place.....

2. Attach a WiFi extender of some kind......Something I can plug the ethernet cable into....
And have the same network name as my main router....
So then laptops....cell phones will automatically pick up the strongest signal....

3. And since my main router is only a couple years old.......I want to keep it if I can....

4. Moving the router to a more central location is not an option....I have a patch panel
with 20 ethernet lines going all over the house......massive amount of work to move all of them....

So looking for a WiFi extender of some type.....

Open to any suggestions and ideas....

Reaction score
1. Ethernet from the Linksys main router to the other end of house....
This cable is already in place....
The only hold-back on that would be whether it is CAT5, CAT6 or CAT6e. CAT5 is good for 100 meters, over 300 feet, runs from port on Router to port on computer. That's what I would use unless critical to get the newer/faster capability of CAT6 or CAT6e. I use Wireless DSL with 98 feet of CAT5 from PoE Modem to antenna, no speed issues. The CATegory is marked on the cable. Most Routers/Wireless Routers have 5 RJ-45 ports, one Uplink to a Modem and 4 devices. Some ISPs provide combination Modem/Router devices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get good coverage throughout my house with my WIFI - except the backyard. For this I purchased a powerline WIFI extender so I could stream music and live sporting events (my cable provider has an app that lets you view any channel you are subscribed to if I am connected to my home network) when I have cookouts in the summer. It basically turns your house wiring into an ethernet cable.

Ask a Question