SOLVED WiFi Extender

Bif

Reaction score
Just got a shiny new gadget being a D-Link Dap 1520 WiFi Extender, and after doing the plug-in and configuration all seems to be done properly and it's mirroring my SSID and actually "boosting" the signal in all the nooks and crannies of our humble home.
THEN all hell breaks loose!...mouse stops, keyboard stops and laptop freezes without rhyme or reason and belches back to life and functionality only for a few fleeting moments.Now after unplugging said D-Link unit and running solely from my router all is tickety-boo once again!?
Does ANYONE have a clue as to why this might have happened?..signal was superior...does/has anyone used one of these contraptions with success or fail? is this perhaps local to Windows 10 and all of it's inherent idiosyncrasies?
"Extended" beyond my knowledge...:confused:

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've used a few different ones of these devices, various manufacturers and various make and models.
When they work, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but.......
Often they seem to just quit or as in your case cause or have some rather peculiar behavior.
Having said that....

It sounds like some congestion is going on, likely on the 2.4 Ghz side of things.
You can try changing channels on your wireless router, selecting something higher. It may currently be set to "Auto" you have options for Channels 1 thru 11 in the U.S. (a couple more in Europe).
It'll likely involve some experimentation, you can start with 11 and see if that's the magic number. IF not then go way down may Channel 2 or even 1.
See if that helps at all.
Additionally, if possible, you might try relocating it to another outlet and see if that eases any problem. Sometimes proximity is a big deal.
Powerful devices can overwhelm less powerful devices on the same bandwidth (2.4 Ghz). Anything from your cordless phones to wireless dongles supporting wireless mice and keyboards.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Yeah, the congestion thing came to mind although I am on a strong uncongested channel.. I'll try a different location and outlet and see if that makes a marked difference. Will post back with the results later..in principle this thing seemed like a great idea.. we'll see!

Bif

Reaction score
Update:
Well after plugging the extender in to a different outlet and changing the wifi channel, the odd behavior is still occurring.
I'm of the mind that it may be an incompatibility issue with my Linksys router or something, as there almost seems to be a great latency "when" it was sorta working.
Anyway, all is running smoothly without it, I'll mark this as solved for the time being..if anyone else has any more suggestions please chime in!

Reaction score
Do you have the problem as well when you change to the 5GHz band?? After all, it is a dual band extender unless your router does not have dual band.
From my experience those range extenders work better with routers from the same manufacturer...

Ask a Question