Win 10 desktop icons

Reaction score
I never thought getting a simple, understandable answer on creating desktop icons would be so difficult.

Yes, I'm a senior.

With Win 8.1, all one had to do, while on a website, was right click and get a small box asking if creating a desktop icon

was desired. As usual, they screwed this up with Win 10.

Will someone please provide the EASIEST way to add an icon?

Greatly appreciated!!

Don (83)

Reaction score
Here is another way to do it.
  1. Right-click any blank place on the Windows 10 Desktop.
  2. Choose New > Shortcut.
  3. Click Next, give the shortcut a name, and click Finish
You can type the name in to the empty block or browse for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is another way to do it. Simply drag it from bookmarks to the desktop. That would be the simplest.

Reaction score
dondel.
Obviously, you are using Edge. No problem, except, as you have found, creating a shortcut is not so straightforward.
Easiest, which may not suit you, is to continue using IE. It is down in the "All Apps" - Windows Accessories. You can right click it and pin it to start, or, in the right click menu, select "more" and pin it to the task bar. You will then need to make it the default browser. Easiest solution there is to right click the start icon, select the Control Panel - Default programs - Set your default program. Scroll the list and select.
But, in Edge, the way I found convenient (for me) was to click the three dots (upper right), and "Open with Internet Explorer." From there you can do as you have always. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question