Windows 10 Drive Map Problems

Reaction score
I have been running Windows 7 Pro since '12. I finally installed Windows 10 Pro. I had to do a clean install because Windows 10 gave me an error message that it could not upgrade. Don't know why. I had Windows 7 on an SSD so I simply bought a new SSD, removed my Windows 7 SSD and installed Windows 10 on the new one.

I currently have a HTPC running Windows 10 home, a laptop on Windows 10 Pro, a media drive attached to my Linksys router, and a Linux box. Windows 7 mapped these drives with absolutely no problem whatsoever. For the life of me, and I honestly know very little about Windows 10, I cannot get any of my other drives mapped to this new Windows 10 PC.

I have searched and I cannot find what I could possibly be doing/not doing to prevent my being able to map these drives. On Windows 7 I could simply select Map Network Drive and it found every single one of the above referenced drives without me having to do anything. Windows 10 finds nothing except itself and the laptop and gives me an error, screen print of error attached.

I hope someone can help me here. I know my 75 year old mind is not as sharp as it once was but I think I can follow instructions if someone can guide me.

Many Thanks!!

Attachments

• drive map error.jpg
    drive map error.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
1st recommend you take you Windows 7 Pro key and change Key and Let MS upgrade you to Windows 10 Pro. Yes, you old Windows 7 Pro key should auto upgrade to 10 Pro. (Command prompt as Admin) type slmgr -ipk (add you 25 digit key) THEN ENTER. the upgrade might take 2 or 3 min. You might even need to reboot (The map problem is HOME) where as Pro will do much more.

Reaction score
Obviously I am a poor communicator.
1. I have upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. That has been done.
2. Windows 10 Pro will not map network drives that I have already set up.
3. The network drives I have set up worked perfectly under Windows 7 Pro.
4. Nothing has changed except I upgraded Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.
5. I cannot map my network drives on my other Windows 10 machines, my Linux machine nor my FTP drive.
6. Previously, I could map the network drives on my other Windows 10 machines, my Linux machine and my FTP drive from my Windows 7 Pro machine prior to Windows 10 Pro upgrade.

I apologize for my poor communication skills. If my problem is not understandable, please ignore this request.

Reaction score
Hi perzaklie,

what device are you using to store your drives on?. A home server maybe?.

Have you checked in Computer Manager > Disk management to see if the drives just need mounting?. :)

computer manager.JPG

Ask a Question