SOLVED 2 PC share a drive/folder (share Windows 10 Pro and access on Windows 10)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 PCs one has Windows 10 and the other has Windows 10 Pro (the Windows 10 Pro is on 24x7).
I would like to share a hard drive from the Windows 10 Pro so I can access it on Windows 10.

Both PCs are on my local network and go via the same router.
Since Homegroup has now been removed I am unable to find a way to share it between the 2 PCs.

Does anyone have a step by step guide to do this as I am not sure on any permissions on Win 10 Pro?

Both PC are running the latest version of Windows.

Thanks,
Gaz

Reaction score
Just an update on this;

Both PCs can see each other and access each other public user folders

I can not access the the D drive on Windows 10 Pro PC I want to, even though I have shared it and allow everybody full permissions on it.
I get an error saying:
Windows cannot access \\Raptor\d
You do not have the permission to access \\Raptor\d. etc.

Reaction score
Got it sorted had to add Everyone into the Security on the D drive
A much better solution is too use the very exact user profiles on each computer then during set up for Sharing and for Security select Authicated Users do this on both or all computer in your network, I usally remove Everyone as this leave your network vunarable. The user does not need to be logged on just have the user profile on both computers.

Reaction score
A much better solution is too use the very exact user profiles on each computer then during set up for Sharing and for Security select Authicated Users do this on both or all computer in your network, I usally remove Everyone as this leave your network vunarable. The user does not need to be logged on just have the user profile on both computers.

Thanks for the reply, I have changed it to use a user profile now :)

Ask a Question