SOLVED Can't share hard drives

Reaction score
I have two computers both now running Win 10. One is hard wired to my router, and the other is on wireless. I am not using Homegroups....just the old method of work groups, which used to work pretty well. (I also have some XP computers.) The computer on wireless can see the C drive on the hard wired computer, but not vice versa. I shows the C drive but when I click on it says it can't be accessed. I have set all the permissions for the C drive on that machine, giving full access to "everyone". I went to the Security tab and set the parameters to allow access for authenticated users. (When it runs through the files it frequently hangs with an error message, but continues when I hit return.) I don't know what else to try! This is a pain!!

Reaction score
IN Network and sharing centre are the machines shown on a 'private' network? And if so in Advanced sharing are the machines set as discoverable? Do they both have file and printer sharing on? Are both machines in the same workgroup?

Reaction score
IN Network and sharing centre are the machines shown on a 'private' network? And if so in Advanced sharing are the machines set as discoverable? Do they both have file and printer sharing on? Are both machines in the same workgroup?

"Yes" to all of those questions! I think we are dealing with a bug, or possibly some corruption on the C drive, but the machine just was upgraded to Win 10 from 7. I am not doing it again. Also, the recovery options for Win 10 are poor since you cannot make any system disks.

Peter

Reaction score
The problem was solved when both computers were joined to the homegroup. The C drive became accessible upon clicking on the icon for the remote computer.

Ask a Question