Installed new router and now I can't access shared files and printer.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an HP laptop(wireless) running Windows 10 and a desktop PC(wired) chugging away on XP with a printer attached. Before the router switch, I had set up a file share and printer share and everything was working just fine. Now (after the router switch) I cannot access the share or shared printer connected to the PC. I can see the laptop and PC on the router's (NetGear C6300BD) Network Map; however, I can't see the PC from the file explorer on the laptop nor can I ping the PC from the laptop.
I can ping all devices from the laptop even my wife's work router which is wired to the router. Note: I can also ping the laptop from the PC and I cannot see the laptop from the file explorer on the PC.

Yours in confusion,
Raymond

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can ping all devices from the laptop
I can also ping the laptop from the
Can you ping both, one from the other by both IP address as well as NetBIOS Name?
IF any third party security suites are involved on either or both computers, you may have to re-establish trusts to support the new network

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble. I did indeed need to re-establish trusts. Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks again!
Raymond

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
Glad you got it sorted.

Ask a Question