Wrong Driver Installed for Broadcom Bluetooth

Reaction score
Good day,

I'm hoping someone would be able to assist me.

I had a new install of Win 10 1803, and my Bluetooth was working fine until this morning. All of a sudden my headset and speaker wouldn't work anymore. It will connect, but no sound will come through, and it won't list as an audio device. Also, when working fine, it showed 'connected to audio', after that it showed only 'connected'.

I tried to update the driver, as I recently helped someone else to get his Bluetooth working after the pesky Win 10 update broke it.

I had Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 12.0.1011 installed, and tried to update forcefully to 12.0.1012.
Well, it turned out that 12.0.1012 is a Bluetooth 4.1 driver.

Now device manager shows it as a 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request failed)'.

I tried to remove drivers, uninstall the device, deleted registry entry for that driver, but every time it re-installs itself as a USB device.
How can I delete this to re-install as a Bluetooth device?

I have also updated now to 1809, with no change.

Thanks for the help.

Erich

Reaction score
Allright, here's an update.. Seems like deleting some more registry keys with the affected address and after several reboots, it has re-installed as a Bluetooth device.

Still get the original error - my headset connects, but without saying 'connected to media'. Windows recognize it as an audio device, so I can select sound from it in the mixer.

Anyone with some advice?

Reaction score
The easiest way to remove a Bluetooth device is to select that option from the Settings page. After doing so, you should be able to re-pair the device and connect normally.

You can also remove it using Device Manager and check the box to remove all drivers. If there are multiple versions of that driver available on that system, then one of those versions may install automatically.

I also like to download the preferred driver and then go offline to uninstall and then install a device. It keeps Windows from installing its version.

I have never needed to mess with the registry for such operations. Hopefully, reinstalling will get your registry back to normal, if not you may have a situation being created from changes you made.

Reaction score
Yes, I removed and re-paired the headset and speakers numerous times.

Again, my problem remains the same: it says connected, but windows does not recognize it as an audio device. When it used to work, it showed as 'connected to audio' in the Bluetooth control panel.

Reaction score
If you look in the Device Manager, do you see any hidden devices which match your Bluetooth or headset version. You will need to set the view options to show hidden devices.

Do you feel confident you did not remove an registry entry that might be involved?

You can attach snipping tool pictures directly into your posts if you think I might help us understand.

Attachments

• BT_Devices.JPG
    BT_Devices.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 678
Reaction score
Good day,
I'm hoping someone would be able to assist me.
I had a new install of Win 10 1803, and my Bluetooth was working fine until this morning. All of a sudden my headset and speaker wouldn't work anymore. It will connect, but no sound will come through, and it won't list as an audio device. Also, when working fine, it showed 'connected to audio', after that it showed only 'connected'.
I tried to update the driver, as I recently helped someone else to get his Bluetooth working after the pesky Win 10 update broke it.
I had Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 12.0.1011 installed, and tried to update forcefully to 12.0.1012.
Well, it turned out that 12.0.1012 is a Bluetooth 4.1 driver.
Now device manager shows it as a 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request failed)'.
I tried to remove drivers, uninstall the device, deleted registry entry for that driver, but every time it re-installs itself as a USB device.
How can I delete this to re-install as a Bluetooth device?
I have also updated now to 1809, with no change.
Thanks for the help.
Erich

Can't help you unless you specify what is your Broadcom Bluetooth card details (see attachments below) e.g. model number and is it a mini PCI-E WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Card etc, also, what laptop is this card installed in? All these details would be very useful and will be of great assistance in helping your problem(s)!

Also, as I'm running version 1809 OS build 17763.253 (which is the latest) and if your Bluetooth driver is installed correctly then, you should have a Bluetooth icon in your 'hidden taskbar or taskbar' (right bottom side) where, if you 'click' on the Bluetooth icon, it will bring up 'Show Bluetooth Devices' and if you click on that, it will take you to "Bluetooth & other devices' in settings, which should look like the attachment that I've attached below, that is if your Bluetooth works correctly. My JBL E45BT Bluetooth earphones work perfectly and I've never had driver problems with any of the Win-10 updates including version 1809.

Just as an example, I'm running a Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 - single-chip, 2.4/5 GHz, 2-stream 802.11 a/b/g/n and BT 4.0 + HS SoC Solution with SST Technology, these are sort of details that I need to help you. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 425
  • s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 432
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Reaction score
It would also be very helpful if you told us what registry entries you modified.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

In the end I had to do a complete re-install of Windows, as even the 'refresh Win 10' option did nothing to help me.

I will look into getting an Intel wifi/bluetooth adaptor, as it seems their firmware are better written. Hopefully this one doesn't bomb out on me again for a while.

Cheers

Ask a Question