What the heck is wrong with Windows 10

Reaction score
I am a tech person. There are just too many issues with Window 10 lately.

1. Can't open photos sometime
  2. Computer will not restart or reboot
  3. Cursor is running all over the screen, and will not behave
  4. System just freezes
  5. Blank screen then nothing happens
  6. Start menu will not show without using control, alt, delete, and logging off
I am just fed up. This happens on all 3 of my computers. I build one (desktop), I purchased one (desktop) in 2017, and my laptop that is a 3 year old i3. This really sucks. Every update just screws things up more & more!!!!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it's happening on three different PCs, I'd see what common software you've got on all the machines that could be interfering with the normal operation. Those things shouldn't be happening, so to happen across 3 systems is too much of a co-incidence.

Reaction score
I agree with Ian. I'd pick one pc, download W10 and do a complete clean install...letting W10 reformat the disk and you reformat any other drives.
Set up with minimal networking ( no homegroup), NO third party AV, use Defender and add your applications one by one starting with Microsoft ones such as Office. If you have any apps that came as downloads but not from the software manufacturers site then get the real thing. Anything that you normally run in compatibility mode...don't run that one.

Slow process if you have lots of apps.

Reaction score
I have 6 PC's running Windows 10 (a tablet, a netbook, a laptop, and three desktops) and short of a few random freezes on my gaming PC, I have never had any of those issues. It's not Windows.

Reaction score
No apps. I don't have crap on my machines. Just virus/malware protection.

What action did you take to get rid of the Apps - you state "A clean install"?
What virus/malware protection on your clean install?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just virus/malware protection.

Is it the same one one all the systems? It's not a clean install if you've installed anything else - I'd even suggest that anti-virus/anti-malware can be one of the worst offenders for causing problems like you've described.

I would try a truly clean install and see if you have the same problem on one of your machines - it sounds like you do have common software installed on your machines and a problem that happens on them all. Windows really shouldn't behave like that, so I am quite confident the problem will be elsewhere (unless you have an edge case with some really unusual hardware on all systems, but this is highly unlikely).

Ask a Question