How to use Command to allign sectors on HD/SSD and check if they are alligned

Reaction score
In Window 7 we were shown how to make sure that the Hard Drive or SSD was filled with 0s and 1s so that we would not be stuck at 1/2 speed, but I had so many papers printed out in the note book was full because it went all the way back to Windows XP!
I had to throw the papers out and start over with Windows 10. For all I know Windows 10 may do this it's self in the New Windows 10, but it would be nice to be able to do it again. I think it was under "Diskpart" but I am probably wrong because I tried to figure it out. I want to start a new notebook on Windows 10 because it looks like it's going to be around for a long time!
I would like to re-post to my notebook the instruction of aligning the head sectors on clean or fresh formatted or new HHDs/SSDs and checking the hard drives already running an OS to see if they are aligned.
I would also love instructions on how to do this with a thumb drive or CD. It would be nice if you just had a CD to slip in and run.
I know you can do it with EasUs or other partition tools but I can't figure out how to get my program on CD and "THEY- EaseUs" won't help you-they want each person to buy their own! I like to be able to help others and have never charged anyone a penny for my help-because that's about what it's worth!.

Can anyone help!
Many Thanks
Harmie Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Tee tools that are available ( free) to clone HDDs onto SSDs that I have seen carefully align the SSDs onto correct boundaries. SSDs need to be aligned on 4096 byte bounds as that was the unit of physical read/write, with the first partition starting at 1 MB. Once that is done then all reads and writes will be aligned.

I just checked my SSD and the three partitions are all aligned correctly...done by Paragon cloning software. Windows 10, when arranging a drive on a new install will also get this right.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I was looking for the commands to use to align the head sectors with the Command Prompt and I have EaseUs Partition Manager that will do it also, but I can't figure how to get the program on CD, so I can carry it to the person who is in trouble and can't afford to buy a program. We live in the Coalfields of South West , VA and there is no work here since Obama declared War on Coal! They are only surviving, repairing and working with computers that should be thrown away! I help anyone I can, free of charge and each case is different! There were commands to align the head sectors, but I have forgotten them, commands to check if they are aligned, that I would love to have! Also I would love to know how to get my Partition Manager on CD, and make it work. Is that possible? EaseUs won't tell me how to do it, they just say to feel free to do it! I am not try to clone or copy an existing OS. I want to wipe one clean using the commands and then check the alignment after a FRESH install on an old Drive that has been used. A fresh install on an old computer can solve a lot of performance problems!

Reaction score
Check alignment using Diskpart:
1. Press <Windows> + <R> to open Run box, type “diskpart” and hit Enter.
2. Type below commands to check:
list disk > select disk n (n is the SSD) > list partition.
3. Check the “Offset” column. If it is the multiple of 1024KB, the partition has been aligned well.
Diskpart allows you to create a new partition that has been aligned to 1024KB. So you can delete old partition and create a new one.
1. list disk
2.select disk n
(where n is the SSD)
3. list partitionselect partition x (where x is the partition you want to align clean
4. create partition primary
5. format quick fs=ntfs
6. exit

To learn more with screenshots, you can visit Diskpart SSD alignment Windows 10. Regards.

Ask a Question