SOLVED Can't connect to a shared folder over my network

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this question. I have a home network with a Windows 2008 standard server. I have a variety of computers on the network, all WIndows 10, some pro and some home. I was running Windows 2003 server on a really old IBM Aptiva with 193 Meg of memory, and it was working, but very, very slowly, so I installed the 2008 server. I ran them both for a while and everything looked like it synced up ok. I shut down the old server and turned on DHCP in the 2008 server and it all seemed OK. The 2008 server says it is a Domain Controller and the DNS and DHCP all look fine. But I am having a problem with one desktop, running Win 10 Pro. Whenever I try to open a shared folder from my laptop running Win 10 home, I get a message saying

"The item 'folder name' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"

After a little troubleshooting, I discovered that the DNS does not resolve the name of the computer. I can connect to the computer using remote desktop, but I can't open anything from that computer. I tried flushing the DNS, no luck. I tried deleting the computer in the DNS and refreshing it, still no go. From the 2008 server, I can ping the IP of the desktop, but no joy pinging the name.

Any suggestions? BTW, I can connect fine from my laptop to the server.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Any chance you are using more than one network adapter, and one of them has accidently been unplugged?

Regarding the shared folder itself, is that a folder that contains data created from any particular software, for example Microsoft Office? If it is, then it may help to reinstall the software on the affected computer.

Reaction score
Any chance you are using more than one network adapter, and one of them has accidently been unplugged?

Regarding the shared folder itself, is that a folder that contains data created from any particular software, for example Microsoft Office? If it is, then it may help to reinstall the software on the affected computer.
Each computer has only one adapter. I checked the status of each computer, including the laptop that can't connect and each has a proper IP and the DHCP and DNS are pointing to the 2008 server. And the folders were reachable before and the types of files in the folders have not changed. I have made sure all the shared folders that I am trying to get to are available to 'everyone' and that has not changed.

I used to get a user name/password challenge when I tried to connect before, on the older server. I gave the correct UN/PW and everything worked fine. Now I don't even get the ability to enter a UN/PW.

Reaction score
OK, never mind. I fixed it. But I'm not sure what actually did it. I rebooted the laptop for the umpteenth time and now all works. Arghhh. Microsoft. Thanks for the replies.

Ask a Question