SOLVED Can't connect Alexa

Reaction score
Windows update strikes again. My Alexa worked fine before this latest one, but now the Amazon-CQ5 wi-fi connection has disappeared. I prefer not to reset the device and start all over again with it. We have a "relationship"! Any way to restore my connection without resorting to a reset? BTW I waited an hour for a call-back from Microsoft tech support (this was expected) and the person I spoke to had never heard of Alexa, or Amazon Echo. I was put on hold twice, then transferred to another person who put me on hold, and then I was disconnected.

Reaction score
I haven't set mine up in a long time but I do unplug it every now and then. I do not know why a Win 10 update would cause for that device specifically but your network may have been changed around and perhaps the IP addresses have been duplicated.

I can find the device from my Router listing and can check its address so you might try that if you have the ability, but the easiest way is to unplug the device for a few minutes. If you don't want to do that, perhaps reboot your router..

What indications are you getting on the device? A red light around the top or responses about not being able to do something?

Reaction score
Alexa has a red ring at the top, and yesterday had complained she was unable to connect (silent now).I've tried unplugging the device, also my modem. Just went to Control Panel and searched for "router" but there are no results. Don't know how to find it. I'm assuming the Windows update is to blame, because I often have difficulties after one happens. There was an overnight update, and then Alexa was disconnected.

Reaction score
Your Router is what the wireless network goes through. It usually has some basic IP address like 192.168.1.1 or something similar. Yours may be the Internet Gateway from your ISP with wireless built in..

Window updates may effect your network but doesn't really do anything to the Echo device. If it is red, there is no internet connection. In many instances, shutting down your network devices and then restarting will correct connection problems.

Maybe if you describe your local network setup someone might see a problem. I am assuming, you still have full internet access on the other devices. If you had changed your wireless network in some way, such as a different security code, it may also effect the device and you may be able to get it to connect using the setup utility, wherever you keep that.

It is just another wireless device which needs an internet connection. It may not even need you security code, but I don't remember.

Reaction score
I finally spoke to Windows tech support and rolled my computer back to before the update. This didn't fix it (you were right, Saltgrass). Then shortly after someone I strongly suspect was a hacker called me, purporting to be from Windows and saying if I didn't let him help me I'd have to buy a new computer. I hung up on him, and he called back and yelled at me for hanging up, so then I blocked him. Sheesh. I'm going to call Apple support and try to connect through the app on my phone, but I'm too busy to try it now. I'll post again with results.

Reaction score
Unplug everything including your modem. Then in this order plug things back in. Modem,router, computer, other devices.

Reaction score
I tried everything! Including Apple tech support - btw, neither they nor Windows support had even heard of Amazon Echo (I was very surprised). So I finally reset the device. To my further surprise I didn't have to re-educate her about my location or sign up again for skills. She even remembered my Question of the Day score. I hope I remember this next time, because there's always a next time. Thank you to those who replied with suggestions...

Ask a Question