Can't connect to internet

Reaction score
After a house move I set my PC up at the far end of the house connected to the router at the opposite end with a pair of Trendnet TPL-308E powerline adapters. All was fine for 4 weeks, then I started losing connection, eventually it would take an hour each morning to connect to the internet via the adapters. I then tested the adapters with a laptop both in the room where the router is located and in the far end room where my PC is located (both running Windows 10) in both casews it connected. I have now brought my PC to the room where the router is located and firstly tried the powerline adapters - no luck. I then connected my PC directly to the router and still no connection. Now at a loss - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Sounds as if the Powerline system is working as your laptop works. So on the PC while it is directly connected:
The first thing I would do would be to run ipconfig /all and check if you are getting an real IP address, gateway and DNS. If you get 169.254.... you have no signal from the router. If not I'd check the ethernet cable and perhaps reboot the router.. I am assuming that your ethernet adapter is working...check that in Device manager, disable it and re-enable sometimes fixes it. A hard reboot often does as well but as you have unplugged the PC from the wall to move it, you have done that!)

If you then have an ip address etc see if you can connect. If you can log onto your router then check the WAN connection page. Should give a single IP address and DNS. Should have DHCP enabled to enable giving your PC an IP address.

tell us the results.

Reaction score
I haven't yet run ipconfig, but I am connected wirelessly to the same router from a different PC and it is not showing the problem PC as connected so I guess it wouldn't have an IP address? I had previously disabled and enabled the network adapter which windows says is working.

Reaction score
So are you getting an IP address? If so try to ping the router ( that will be your gateway address ) and ping Google.com if that works you should be able to connect with one or other browser.

Reaction score
IPCONFIG/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Trevor
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4-BA-DB-EB-74-9F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Not sure if that answers the question re IP address?

Reaction score
I forgot to add the problem started intermittently and got worse before stopping which presumably would also point towards the network adapter.

Reaction score
Is there any particular way to find a replacement network card - I mean does it have to be right for your particular computer or will any do? PC is an old Dell Inspiron 580.

Reaction score
It would have to be the same type of card that your empty slot on the motherboard would handle. Example if you have an empty PCI slot on the motherboard than the adapter would have to be a PCI adapter.

Reaction score
New network card and back up and running though the connection dropped out with new trendnet powerline adapters tonight and I had to reset them both.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ask a Question