SOLVED Can't access internet through either LAN or WLAN connection

Reaction score
Am using another PC to send this.
  • Running W10 on Toshiba Satellite laptop (See computer details in my profile)
  • Can't access internet through either LAN or WLAN connection
  • Network diagnostics show: "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration"
  • IPv4 & 6 show "No network access"
  • Network and Sharing Center shows:
    • Access type: No network access
    • Connections: Wi-Fi (CHAS-OY) (my home network name)
  • Have downloaded/replaced network adapter driver (RealTek) (latest vsn; but same as previous) from Toshiba
  • Have run following from command prompt:
    • ipconfig /flushdns
    • ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew (FAILED: no operation can be performedwhile media disconnected)
    • netsh winsock reset, netsh int ipv4 reset, netsh int ipv4 reset
    • wlan report (see attached)
    • netsh winsock reset catalog
    • netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    • netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
  • Restored WINSOCK and WINSOCK2 reg entries (see attached)
  • Restarted Network Adapters
HELP!! Any other ideas before turning this over to acomputer repair shop and spending the $$ in hope of a fix?

Attachments

• wlan-report-latest.zip
    35.1 KB · Views: 687
  • WINSOCK.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 645
Reaction score
Sensible people, how ever much they would like to help, don't open zip files from people they don't know. ( and often not even from people they do know)

A screen shot of ipconfig /all and the W10 displays from Network and sharing centre would be good.

Reaction score
Tim,

Appreciate your concern over .zip files, but I thought it was OK since .zip is one of the allowed file extensions for uploading in this forum. One of the files (wlan-report-latest.htm) is .htm, not an allowed extension, which is why I zipped it. Am sending it again, this time as a web link: http://insyte-is.com/wlan-report-latest.htm. This way, it retains all the html enabled functionality of the report.

ipconfig /all is in the cmd prompt display in the wlan-report-latest.htm

I see now where .reg is allowed, so I have attached the two winsock.reg files.

Screen shots attached:
  • Network and sharing center
  • Network connections
  • Network diagnostics
  • Wi-Fi status
Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Winsock.reg
    3.8 KB · Views: 654
  • Winsock2.reg
    66.9 KB · Views: 657
  • network and sharing center.pdf
    227.6 KB · Views: 625
  • network connections.pdf
    192.6 KB · Views: 706
  • network diagnostics.pdf
    148.1 KB · Views: 608
  • W-Fi_Status.pdf
    136.2 KB · Views: 585
Reaction score
How about a screenshot of ipconfig /all And also a screen shot if you go to the properties of your wifi adapter as that will show what parts of the stack are loaded.

I notice that the pc seems to think you are on a public netwrok...do you have netwrok discovery and sharing truned on? Private network works bets as well.

To me, .reg files are not helpful Regedt32 might find them helpful but I am not a registry expert.

Reaction score
  • ipconfig /all screen shot attached (note, this was noted in my last post as being available through the cmd prompt display in the wlan-report-latest.htm
  • Wi-Fi info attached:
    • adapter properties (not sure if this helps, because the values for each property are not shown unless the focus is on that particular property).
    • Available network adapters listed in device manager
    • Wi-Fi properties
  • Now I can no longer connect to my home network - see attachment Network & Internet Wi-FI
Apologies for not getting to this earlier, but I was distracted by the horrific news of the terrorist attack in Orlando. I live in a suburb, about 20 miles to the north.

Attachments

• ipconfig all.pdf
    260.9 KB · Views: 650
  • WiFi Adapter.pdf
    289.5 KB · Views: 578
  • Wi-Fi Properties.pdf
    279 KB · Views: 719
  • Network & Internet Wi-Fi.pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 553
Reaction score
I can see from the ipconfig that you have no connectivity whatsoever. The details of the comms look as if all the right stuff is there. I presume from the adapter file that the drivers are loaded.

You can't get connectivity wired either so it isn't just the wifi not working. I don't know where to look next.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might try testing with open security briefly.
Go into the wireless router interface and set wireless security / encryption to "none" or open or disabled or whatever you particular brand router option might be and test.
Then step through and up through the various security encryption options available it might be that you are using WPA2 with TKIP and it would prefer WPA2 with AES.
Additionally you might try unchecking the Epfw NDIS LightWeight Filter just to see if Eset might be causing the issue. Just uncheck the box in your wifi adapters properties as one of your images shows above.
You may have to reboot and confirm that it remains off and unused by the wireless adapter.

Reaction score
Thanks for your time and effort trying to help me resolve this, Tim.

Thanks for your suggestions, also, Noob, unfortunately, no joy there either.

I believe the issue centers around resolving "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid ip connection", and IPv4 & 6 Connectivity showing "No network access"

Hate to admit defeat, but I guess it's off to the computer repair shop. Will send the post mortem report after the issue is resolved.

Reaction score
Haven't asked this before ( an oversight). Is the other PC using WiFi or ethernet?

Reaction score
WiFi, but I hooked up a LAN cable just to see if that resolved the problem, and still had the same issues.

Reaction score
@riabroi I assume you resolved the problem, what was it ?

In the past, I have had this sort of problem and a combination of making the machine 'forget' or 'delete' knowledge of a connection, re-booting PLUS waiting some time for things to settle down and by magic the connections become possible. Another thing I have had to do is to 'reset' Windows 10, accepting updates first. This latter ruse can cure some really mystery problems without ever really knowing why.

Reaction score
Thanks, Denbigh. I had tried forgetting/deleting the network connection as you suggest, but that didn't resolve the issue. I finally 'bit the bullet', had W8.1 (original licensed OS) reinstalled, then went through the upgrade to W10 with updates. That resolved the issue.

Ask a Question